The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Why no MS employees here anymore?

Why don't any MS employees post here anymore.  Eric Lippert and Philo used to post here all the time.  Did MS ban them from JOS?
I/O
Thursday, October 07, 2004

My guess is, after Joel wrote his "How Microsoft Lost the API War" (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/APIWar.html) article, someone at Microsoft got pissed...
GiorgioG Send private email

maybe the ms guys already realized that this forum is no more a good one and it's better for them to work on their products than living in this forum.

They're all still here, but just a little more hidden. They still, post under anonymous names like "muppet" and "FancyPants".
anon-y-mous cow-ard

I still lurk on occasion.
No official policy from MS. FWIW, the only official policy direction I have gotten from Microsoft about my online activities is that I be open and honest about who I am and who I work for.

The reason I left is that it became painfully obvious that many other posters here no longer thought of me as an individual, but seemed to believe that after just eight months of working for MS I was irretrievably brainwashed and incapable of forming independent thoughts. Okay, so I hyperbolize, but that's how it felt when I posted an article for some comments and was accused of "spreading FUD for Microsoft"

[shrug] I don't really want to hang out somewhere where my opinion is not respected as my own. So I took off.

Nice to know that I'm missed. Thanks!
Philo

PS - What's up with the cane?
Philo [MSFT] Send private email

Maybe they're all working overtime on Longhorn?
AnMFCAndJavaProgrammer Send private email

Philo,

I suspect there are many readers, such as me, who did respect your opinion as your own, and valued it as part of this community. It's just that we weren't as vocal as the critics. We'd like to see you start posting again sometime :-)
John Rusk Send private email

There's no need to be a suck about it.
Friday, October 08, 2004

As an occasional critic of yours Philo, I can assure you that I always believed it was an entirely persnal decision on your behalf to take every opportunity  to extol MS products and peddle FUD and not a response to any company directive :)
Stephen Jones Send private email
Friday, October 08, 2004

Good to have you back Philo!
Gary van der Merwe Send private email
Friday, October 08, 2004

I agree with Stephen.

Friday, October 08, 2004

Nah Philo, I never thought you were brainwashed.

I'm going to invite you to the Linux Users Group next month though.  I promise that no one will attack you.
KC Send private email
Friday, October 08, 2004

Philo--welcome back.

I assumed something had happened because your MSDN blog just died in the middle of a series of articles, many months ago.
mb Send private email
Friday, October 08, 2004

First off, as Philo says, it's nice to be missed.  Though I was never more than a sporadic contributor at best.

But the question is silly.  Of course no one banned me from anything!  Microsoft encourages its employees to participate in community fora.

I stopped because (a) I've got a product to ship here, and (b) when last I posted, this forum was being overrun by trolls, and therefore a huge waste of my time.
Eric Lippert Send private email
Friday, October 08, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics