The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Can y'all give me some good SAP horror stories - especially BW?

Some douchebag is trying to push this at the company to implement a Data Warehouse. I need ammo to stop him before it's too late! Thanks in advance!
Code Penetrator Send private email
Monday, March 21, 2005

Silly question time: You clearly have logical and intelligent reasons why this is a bad idea, so why don't you try presenting them?

If you have to come begging for "horror stories" then it looks as if you don't actually know what you're talking about and that can't be right, can it?
act like an adult, please
Monday, March 21, 2005

Heh hhheh, you said douchebag.
Beavis
Monday, March 21, 2005

Yes, but they are technical reasons. Those will make a manager's eyes glaze over in 5 seconds. I need something better.
Code Penetrator Send private email
Monday, March 21, 2005

SAP ain't a data warehouse -- whatchoo talkin' bout?

Data Warehouses are built to meet the needs of the business, and generally they are for allowing the sort of time-based comaprisons that OLTP systems cannot support -- if you think the business doesn't need one then lay out your reasons.
David Aldridge Send private email
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Jiveman #2: Hey Holm, I can dig it! You know he ain't gonna lay no mo' big rap upon you man!
  >> Yes, he is wrong for doing that.

Jiveman #1: I say hey sky, s'other say I won say I pray to J I get the same ol' same ol.
  >> I knew a man in a similar predicament, and he ended up being sorry.

Jiveman #2: Knock yourself a pro slick. Gray matter back got perform' us' down I take TCBin, man'.
  >> Don't be naive Arthur. Each of us faces a clear moral choice.

Jiveman #1: You know wha' they say: See a broad to get that bodiac lay'er down an' smack 'em yack 'em.
  >> Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

Together: Col' got to be! Yo!
  >> How true!
Together: Sheeeet!
Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

SAP killed my dog, burned down the shed in the backyard and forced me to eat nothing but porridge for a whole month.
harsh Send private email
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I like porridge. Especially with sultana's.
Craig
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

David,
SAP's BW (which stands for Business Warehouse), is a data warehousing solution from SAP.

Code Penetrator,
If you want SAP horror stories, go to Oracle :)

I've heard that you can't just push SAP into a company - if you try, your company will be the horror story you are looking for, but it wont be SAPs fault.

The organization has to be aligned with the SAP system, the organization has to plan years ahead, know its own processes,  and its ressources.
In this large process of planning, alignment and documentation, the organization will see if it can benefit from using SAP.

If your business decides to use SAP after a 20 minute PowerPoint presentation, the effort is probably doomed. As with all ERP systems, not only the quality of the system decides the outcome, but also the "self-awareness" of the organization is crucial.

So any SAP horror stories you'll find, is probably something else: A "bad business decision"-story.

(The above is probably not applicable for SAPs small business solution, SAP Business One)
The poster formerly known as Martin A. Bøgelund
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Yup.  It's SAP's way or the highway.

You must adapt to them, and not them to you.
(insert Borg joke here)
example Send private email
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

>Silly question time: You clearly have logical and
>intelligent reasons why this is a bad idea, so why don't
>you try presenting them?

Some people don't react well to logical reasoning, odd as that may appear to a programmer. I find that a combination of logical reasoning, horror stories and personal recommendations is better than logical reasoning alone.
Colm O'Connor Send private email
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

That has the makings of a new software methodology.

Q. Are you using Extreme Programming on this project?
A. No, we're using horror stories and personal recommendations.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

My former employer built a 1000-person practice around SAP as an "added value" proposition for the other customers. 

Minimal implementations (basic AP or GL, suppy chain, etc) took 6-9 months.  Maybe your person isnt't talking about that in particular but you're going to need to get data from somewhere (GL, production lines, ?) if there's going to be any "D" in the "W".  Once it's in there, if it doesn't feed back to something, what's the point?

If your company doesn't already know, and I mean in the Biblical sense, the processes they want to attach to or drive with this thing, somebody's gonna be signing checks to some external outfit to "help" your co. "understand" your processes so the warehouse can "transform" the business.
A Former Big-Fiver Send private email
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I've been implementing SAP for many years and have a very  strong view on SAP BW.

But before I give you may story -- you need to tell us more:

- Is your company currently using SAP R/3?
- Which modules?
- Is SAP working for the company?
- Why do they want SAP BW?
- Which area of the business intends using it?
- What are the integrity of data in your current SAP system?
- Are people happy with reports from current SAP system?
  (why not)
- Why don't you not like SAP BW?

If you just bring general horror stories then you are wasting your time. Take out the emotion dood & think logical for a short while.

L
Liam Send private email
Tuesday, March 22, 2005

We used to call SAP r3

Save And Pray. Repeat three times!!
Tapiwa Send private email
Wednesday, March 23, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics