The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

So where can we discuss geeky programming topics now?

When Joel closes this forum, where will everyone go?

I still want a forum where I can discuss programming topics.
Andrew Brehm Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

Yeah, it's unfortunate. StackOverflow isn't for discussing things. So closing this forum -- even if it's not in its heyday -- is a shame.
Rowan Hanna Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

Joel said he will stop blogging, not stopping the forum. Or I am wrong?
Georgi Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

Hacker news is pretty good.

http://news.ycombinator.com/
Arethuza Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

He said this forum will be closed.  BOS will be left open.
Doug Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

What I find funny is he says that the JoS group has been "in long decline" but the only reason it's been in decline is because he removed anonymous posting.  I guarantee if anonymous postings were to return, the discussion group would start booming again!
WayneM. Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

@WayneM (et.al.)

re: anonymous posting - so who am I?
schlabnotnik Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

Maybe, but his claim was that the anon postings were not of as high quality, IIRC.  I think this is nuts personally, but if his concerns are quality/quantity then I don't think he'd think it's important that the posting quantity dropped like a rock.

I think it's a ridiculous claim, thought it was a ridiculous claim then, and thought he just remembered the anon postings which supported his own claim; it's not like everything I've posted with a name has been a fount of wisdom either.
noodling Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

Geeky programming topics are discussed at http://www.crazyontap.com -- and a number of the regulars, like Bored Bystander, who stopped posting here still visit there regularly.

You do, however, have to wade through the non-programming topics there.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

Forum posting quality followed blog posting quality. You can't just pull a Coffee Talk* and expect to have a vibrant community and discussion about random tidbits he found around the web.

Required registration was just the final nail in the coffin. It did nothing to improve post quality (or very little) and all but completely killed post quantity.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_Talk#Discussion_topics
Jos Stoned Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

It's OK with me if he wants to shut it down since it is his board.

Sabotaging something, presiding over its long decline, and then eliminating it, claiming lack of interest, has long been a favored tactic of repressive governments, so this is a standard technique.

You are right that it is a result of the changes to the policy. Propaganda promulgated at the time claimed the changes would lead to better quality postings. They did not. If this had been an honest usability experiment, then the changes would be reverted and new experiments tried. But it was never meant to improve quality, it was meant to kill off interest.
Scott Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

I'm not sure it was consciously meant to kill of interest, I think it's equally possible that Joel lives in his own echo chamber and is never in a position to consider that his way of doing things might  be wrong.  Just as an example of pandering, every few weeks you'll see someone post a question asking how they can impress a hiring manager at a great company like Google (Microsoft, Yahoo, etc) or FogCreek.  The blog posts may not be that interesting now, but he has done a really impressive job of creating a religion; I can't think of another small company with that kind of name-worship unless it's maybe 37signals.
noodling Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

How about this? http://www.reddit.com/r/onsoftware

"A place for our fellow tribesman of software chit and chat; those which have been (will be) expelled from the land of Joel and wish to continue discussions of software and technology. We welcome all refugees from the The Joel on Software Discussion Group."
Unblogworthy Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

Opened new subreddit reddit.com/r/onsoftware.  What do y'all think?
Unblogworthy Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

Consider checking out USENET. There are forums on every topic known to man. Admittedly, some are more friendly / less spammy than others. It's still my first choice for discussion groups.
Bryan Oakley Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

Although there are many programming-related forums on the net, I've found the experience and skill level of the posters on this particular forum to be well above others, so I hope it does not get closed. I love you guys.
Bill Lumberg Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

how about creating a JOS google group?
Dev Send private email
Friday, March 19, 2010

psant Send private email
Saturday, March 20, 2010

> how about creating a JOS google group?

noes! google groups sucks big time with spamming.
victor a.k.a. python for ever Send private email
Saturday, March 20, 2010

Maybe I'm getting old, but I find myself having less and less patience to sit and read thru the self absorbed, shallow, opinionating of stupid people.  Certainly some people on the internet have interesting things to say and unique insight (I count Scott as an example of these (not always though), and used to be Joel).  There has been a lot of great discussion these boards over the years, nowadays, not so much.

But with things like Dzone, Reddit, and twitter (oh god twitter, why? why?) it's like every moron that has a thought feels they should post it on the internet.

We really haven't made any progress at all.  Use google to find whatever insight you need when you need it and f*ck the rest.

Oh and lol at u for reading my innane crap!
mtt Send private email
Sunday, March 21, 2010

Oh, it's not all that inane if it's right! The quality of discussion on this very board was always pretty good, even if it was a bit variable.

I've enjoyed my N years reading and posting here more than I enjoyed my N years reading and posting on usenet. Less cliquey, wider range of on-topic topics, fewer crazies, shorter flaming sessions. (Our Dear Leader's design for the discussion board seems to have been relatively sound.)

But anyway, it's 21st March according to my clock, so how come I can still post?
brone Send private email
Sunday, March 21, 2010

Shhh, not so loud... maybe Joel will not notice us around here if we're not noisy :P
MaLKaV_eS Send private email
Monday, March 22, 2010

time gentlemen PLEASE!
Drummer Send private email
Monday, March 22, 2010

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics