The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Watch Aardvark'd Online

Howdy,

If you haven't yet had a chance to see "Aardvark'd," the documentary about the 2005 Fog Creek interns, I've just made it available to watch online free of charge at:

http://boondogglefilms.com/aardvarkd.php

Booya!
Lerone Wilson Send private email
Thursday, May 21, 2009

very good website design.
Victor the Python Artist Send private email
Friday, May 22, 2009

I assume Victor is being facetious in his remarks.

The site looks "not quite right" in Firefox 3 and is really broken in IE8.

I loved Lerone's work with Aardvark'd and for anyone who didn't see it first time around, I'd definitely check it out.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, May 22, 2009

>>The site looks "not quite right" in Firefox 3 and is really broken in IE8.

Do you have some unusual settings? I just had a look at it in FF3.5 and IE8 and it looks and works fine in both.
Stephen Martin Send private email
Friday, May 22, 2009

I get a message that the movie is not available at this time. nice.
Mark Dochstader Send private email
Friday, May 22, 2009

@Mark

That's because you guys are all over my internetz, crashin' my sitez (not endearing if I'm not a cat?  fine.)

No seriously, try it again.  I just did and it works fine.  Probably just a temporary bottleneck.  Sorry.
Lerone Wilson Send private email
Saturday, May 23, 2009

Overall, it was a waste of my time.  Words cannot express how awful the music was ("The tomato song"???).  The fog creek brunette is kinda hot - something about her intrigues me.  Joel's a dick....he needs to thank these guys and tell them that they did a great job.  They provided a revenue stream for his company and it was performed by summer interns (i.e. at a very low labor cost).  While looking at Jessica, I just kept thinking "she married PG??".  It must have been for his money!
__mlm__ Send private email
Saturday, May 23, 2009

@"Joel needs to thank them."

he did; he even said that they met his expectations. how often does a boss do that. rarely. the boss avoids saying these things so developers don't get full of themselves.
Victor the Python Artist Send private email
Saturday, May 23, 2009

I downloaded Aardvark, and watch it all the way through with a couple of beers and a pizza.

Though I enjoyed watching it, and big congulation for the Aardvark team and what they did achive. I think that couldn't see all the possible problems that they encountered and the fun times they did have.

As a story telling medium, I come away from it lacking any connection with the people at Joels office. Through-out the video, the only person who had any soul or real interest was the girl in the office Liz Gordon.

I may be a bit harsh on the video though for any type of story telling you need to connect with your audience, and though Aardvark try's to do this, its story telling is very ad-hock jumping from people to places without really giving any of them a chance to reveal who they're.

I think from the very begging the video alienated about 90% of the audience. Mostly by saying "These kids are the best of the best!, these kids can do soo much better than you". I would of been a lot more open to their views and feelings if I could associate my college years with them, but from the get go it felt like it was demising to your focus audience.

It could be me, but I associated more with the hackers. Mainly because they're were not prompted as the best of the best but instead general guys trying to make a better life for themselves by starting their own software base company.
Entity Send private email
Sunday, May 24, 2009

Watched the film online. In one word: "disappointment". In 2: "big disappointment".
Those are geeks? Really? Never mind what Joel thinks, people writing "dumb-user-friendly-whatever for Windows" are not geeks.
To add insult to injury, someone portrayed them as "best-of-the-best-of-the-best". Yea, right.
xlib Send private email
Monday, May 25, 2009

Unlike some of the  other posts, I appreciated that for the most part these guys are not solely uber-nerds; the last thing a small software company needs is programmers who don't understand the real world application of their work, or put them in front of an actual customer.

Also, for interns to do anything, let alone complete something, is a huge achievement. Most of the time interns *create* work for FT employees in terms of training, management and required re-work, so kudos.

Overall, an interesting look into the company and this project; not great but good.
Mark Dochstader Send private email
Monday, May 25, 2009

+1 "Overall, an interesting look into the company and this project; not great but good."

I assume it was a conscious decision to almost completely ignore the technical aspects of developing CoPilot, which struck me as a bit odd, considering that the natural audience for this is people in the software business.  I can understand adding interviews with Bricklin and Graham if the intent is to document the software development process, but it seemed to me that the focus of Aardvark'd was the personalities of the interns and their experiences living in New York, and working for Fog Creek.  Therefore, as interesting as someone like Dan Bricklin can be, it didn't add much to the video.

On the other hand, I did watch the whole thing, and I didn't consider it a waste of my time, so maybe it isn't that bad after all.  There aren't too many 77 minute podcasts of conference speakers where I make it all the way through to the end.  I thought the production quality was pretty good.
RGlasel Send private email
Monday, May 25, 2009

I watched it and thought it was great.

A creeper, the first half an hour I was not sure if I was interested, but by the end I was into it.

It was interesting in terms as an insight into a software company and people interested in software development (I think we should avoid the terms 'nerd' or 'geek') but also in terms of looking at how low budget filmmaker can try and make such activities interesting on the screen.

Awsome work all round IMO.
Sam H Send private email
Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Re: "I assume it was a conscious decision to almost completely ignore the technical aspects of developing CoPilot"

i think that was mostly because it is GPL'ed code.  i.e. - they used existing code and the only bit of work is the server side that just listens for connections and then makes a connection for the two "client" sides.  Not exactly a difficult project.  I think the real issue is scalability, load balancing, etc.
Tim J Send private email
Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Someone dug up an old MSJ magazine for a closing shot (with some other common lisp book too)
Tim J Send private email
Wednesday, May 27, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics