The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Data Display Boards

Are there any ready-made frameworks for making large screen displays similar to those found in airports. At the moment we're putting one together using a computer hooked to a mid-level 52" LCD TV.  I'm trying to decide whether to use a WPF application or web app, or Silverlight. It's primarily only going to show 2-3 screens and be one one screen 90% of the time that refreshes a few times an hour. All the data will be coming from an ERP system, so the display will be just a big live report.

So far I'm leaning towards doing it as a web app just because of development time and I know how to do it that way and can make changes to it faster. I feel that doing it in WPF or Silverlight may have a nicer interface, but don't know if the time to get up to speed with the technology is worth it.

Any suggestions, thoughts?
TrippinOnIT Send private email
Thursday, May 21, 2009

I've seen it done using webpages, also this way if that screen goes down it is very easy for someone to just bring it up on their system. It is also easy to implement.
Mike Kent Send private email
Thursday, May 21, 2009

Once I did something a bit smaller with powerpoint + VBA.
Rather easy and worked well.
Stray__Cat Send private email
Friday, May 22, 2009

Do you know of any products which give you this kind of functionality? I was thinking this might be a good idea for a mISV
James "Smiler" Farrer Send private email
Friday, May 22, 2009

Yeah, I saw this in Enron's UK reception when I went to meet some guys there a while back.

I'd do it as a web page, especially if it isn't going to change much.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, May 22, 2009

Panasonic makes plug-in CPU's for certain of their industrial monitors, and it includes an API and digital sign management software... http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/news/news04_014.asp . Also I think just search around on "digital signage."
CC Send private email
Friday, May 22, 2009

Yes. As noted above, "Digital Signage device" would be the correct name for what you are describing.  The company I work for is built around a software/hardware device I initially developed in 2004 that does what you are describing.

There are actually quite a few different products in that space right now.  From what I've observed, Digital Signage has grown a great deal in the last 2 years both in the number of devices available to purchase, and the number of people looking to deploy it.  Anyway... Wikipedia and Google will tell you all about it if you utter the correct incantation ("digital signage").
Aaron Flynt Send private email
Friday, May 22, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics