The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

using a content management system to produce simple website

My knowledge of HTML and CSS was at best simple and is now outdated by 5 years. I am C++ and C# coder.

A friend has asked me to produce a simple website - really just a list of clients and past projects.

I don't trust my knowledge of HTML and CSS to do decent layouts and want a freeware content management tool to quickly produce a simple website. The website is for business services and not anything technical and so it doesn't have to be state-of-the-art.

We will be using GoDaddy for the hosting and so can choose from the following CMS tools:

Mambo
Joomla
Drupla
MODx
PostNuke

Which one is best to quickly produce a simple website?
Robert Dobbs Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2009

for my taste Joomla, Drupal and PostNuke are too complicated in both skinning and administration in case of a simple website... mamba - don't know, never used it before. So I'd suggest you to try either MODx or Wordpress (just search the net for the "Wordpress as CMS" article) - both are powerfull enough to build almost any website and both are easy to admin and both can be easily skinned (modx because of its simple and straightforward skinning mechanism, wordpress because of the huge amount of ready-made themes available to download from countless number of sites.)
Sergey Pozhilov Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2009

+1 on wordpress.  I was in the same boat you were 6 months ago.  I tried out wordpress and drupal and both will work for you.  Probably best with Wordpress.
Tim J Send private email
Monday, May 18, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics