The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Expanding Several Window Folders Silmutaneously

Hi there

I've been trying to do this but I can't seem to get it done. Can anyone tell me whether there is anyway of expanding several window  folders silmutaneously until you can see the files listed in each folder all at once?

I mean you can expand more than one folders on the left panel (Folders panel) of Windows Explorer (since it's a tree control) but you have to expand one folder at a time. Is there anyway to expand several sub-folders silmutaneously? I can't seem to do anything on the right panel of Windows Explorer for more than one folder. It seems to work on one folder only.

The reason is I'm trying to copy a large amount of files hidden in sub-sub folders which ultimately lead up to one holding folder. I want to copy all those files to a new single folder. Is there anyway I can select it all once without  working on one folder at a time?

Many thks!
Ezani Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Use a better tool like Total Commander.
sloop Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2009
it is not about tool sloop. i doubt Total Commander can do what the op is talking about.

op, the fastest way i can think of is to use the address bar and the filename completion feature.
Victor the Python Artist Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2009
oh, op wants a multipane explorer! sloop is right. also check q-dir and mtexplorer on portable freeware[1].

Victor the Python Artist Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Thanks all ! Branch View (with all sub-folders) is what I wanted. Similar to Expand All in your favourite IDE. Unbelievable that Windows Explorer doesn't have this! Unbelievable! (Or did MSFT do this on purpose?)
Ezani Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2009
I'm too late, but what I do is just do a search for all files.
Bash is better, though
mature student Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Isn't Windows Explorer (essentially) single-threaded in this regard?
Xampl Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2009
[ a search for all files]

Ezani : I don't see how searching for all files will show all the .... oh ok! I see it now ! But it'll be a very long list !

What I'm trying to do this. Say I got a folder containing sub-folders, each containing a number of files. What I want to do is copy all the files in 1 shot (i.e. by selecting once from a list) rather than having to open the sub-folder one by one and transferring.

Graphically speaking, say my main folder is this:

+ repository

But repository, when fully expanded (and Windows can't do this!) becomes this:-

- repository
    - subfolder1
    - subfolder2

and on and on and on until a couple of hundred sub-folders. So you see now why I want to be able to do it in one shot ? I must say thanks once again to sloop and Victor the Python Artist! Total Commander does it nicely with its "Branch View (with all sub-dirs)" option because it gives me the file list directly without even showing any folders so I just press F5 and copy !!!
Ezani Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Not exactly what you wanted but I'm surprised how few people know what happens if you press NumPad * in any (standard) treeview.
Maxim Send private email
Friday, May 15, 2009
Unbelievable! Incredulous!

1. Cannot believe Microsoft fails to put such an important functionality such as Expand All (and Collapse All) into something as important as Windows Explorer

2. I just realized with their two-paned Windows Explorer tree view, they don't allow multiple folder selection (even though the Numpad * expands all sub-folders until the very lowest of depths - but still doesn't show the files ! Even that hiding it in a Numpad * ? !!! Unbelievable ! Incredulous ! Wow..this is a new Marianna Trench for Mickey!
Ezani Send private email
Sunday, May 17, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics