The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Announcing the HTML MessageBox

For those of you creating Windows applications (not web apps) who are fed up with the small fonts in MessageBoxes and the inability to add emphasis in any way (such as boldface) to their text, I have created a solution (commercial, I'm afraid).

It's called the HTML MessageBox, and it supports limited HTML to do bold, italic, underline, and font changes, plus it starts with a larger default font, which is changable.

It has interfaces for standard Windows API calling convention (e.g. from C/C++), a COM cover, a .NET cover class, and also a PowerBuilder interface (since that's what I use for my main business app, which I developed this tool for).

It's at http://www.HTML-MessageBox.com

I'd also welcome any comments on the product idea, the web site, whether my pricing seems reasonable, etc. Thanks!
Dan Cooperstock Send private email
Wednesday, May 13, 2009

nice product and i don't wanna be the killjoy but i have seen it all since Qt4. i wonder whether people really want message boxes at first? (i personally don't like them. i do like semi-modal boxes though)
Victor the Python Artist Send private email
Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I'd change the wording of "Samples" to something like "Screenshots".  As a developer, the word "sample" immediately makes me think of code samples, sample projects, etc..  My first thought was that I want to see some screenshots and I just glanced over "Samples" completely for a while because of the name.
Dave76 Send private email
Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Victor, thanks for pointing out Qt, which I didn't know had that capability. I've added it to the list of alternatives on the "Why HTML MessageBox?" page on the web site. Obviously, however, most Windows application programmers aren't using Qt, and they aren't going to want to switch to it just for this one capability (enhanced MessageBoxes).

I know that not everyone likes MesageBoxes, but I certainly still feel there is a very good place for them, for many uses, not least of which is things like "Do you really want to delete that record?". And it's a well-known UI element for users.

Dave, thanks for the suggestion. I have changed that page heading to "Screenshots & Samples".
Thursday, May 14, 2009

> For those of you creating Windows applications (not web apps) who are fed up with the small fonts in MessageBoxes and the inability to add emphasis in any way (such as boldface) to their text, I have created a solution (commercial, I'm afraid).

You do realise that the MessageBox API is now effectively deprecated for new applications under Windows, don't you?

If not, you may want to take a look at the TaskDialog API (which is far more flexible than MessageBox) and look at implementing comparable features.

FWIW we use a TaskDialog wrapper which allows the new APIs to be used on downlevel OS's, so that's another avenue to explore - just because a window looks like a Vista Task Dialog doesn't mean that the app in question won't run under XP.
Anna-Jayne Metcalfe Send private email
Thursday, May 14, 2009

As I understand it all the TaskDialog adds is a heading in a larger/bolder font above the message. You can certainly do that with the HTML MessageBox easily enough, and yes, I guess I could add another API function to do that too.
Saturday, May 23, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics