The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Anyone know of any good free web app UIs?

I'm not looking for your standard run of the mill template stuff, but a layout for a web application... something along the lines of the 37Signals suite of products.  Everything I find either is ugly and unworkable or costs a fair bit of money.  Are there any free resources that have this kind of stuff?

Mort Mortinson Send private email
Saturday, May 09, 2009
Well, this is full of FAIL. The reason you're finding it hard to find one is because UIs are hard and should be specific to your application. Yes, there's a lot of stuff that is similar to other apps, but you can't get a UI and then retro fit it to your app. This simply leads to a crap user experience that no-one wants to use.
Martin Pilkington Send private email
Sunday, May 10, 2009
"Everything I find either is ugly and unworkable or costs a fair bit of money.  Are there any free resources that have this kind of stuff?"

There are a few but keep in mind that these are contradictory requirements.  You're really looking for someone who's put a lot of time and effort into designing a well thought out template, with excellent documentation and so forth but at the same time, doesn't want to develop a web site and monetize their own template.

The only option(s) I can think of that has a fairly high signal to noise ratio, are those sites offering Flash frameworks.  Gaia (the first Google hit) looks nice but the downside is that you have to have some Flash experience.  There may be templates for Silverlight but I'll let someone else answer that because I have no experience with Silverlight.

If that's not the path you want to take, the next best thing is to look at various Cascading Style Sheet templates and there are many beautiful ones out there but keep in mind that CSS simply deals with the appearance of web pages.  CSS does not handle the interactive elements in the sense that it will automatically set up text fields, radio buttons, clickable hot spots, do validation and so forth.

In the long run though, I agree with Martin and suggest that if this is a genuine web application as opposed to just merely a basic HTML web site, you're much better off picking up a few books and learning how to do it yourself.  (Trying to debug someone else's work especially when they didn't design it for your purpose in the first place, is extremely difficult and frustrating.)
TheDavid Send private email
Sunday, May 10, 2009
I recently asked myself this same question.  Here is a page full of my notes:

YUI, the jQuery UI or Openlaszlo are all great.
Joshua Gourneau Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009
"standards complaint" should be "standards compliant" in your web page
darkt Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009
If you are a serious web dude in North America, I'd suggest plunking down the darn $100 for dreamweaver or expression web design.  I understand, say, for someone in Pakistan or India that translates to  much more, but in North America, it's just not a lot of money.

That said, I believe in Open Source, but I'm not religious about it.
Matthew Heusser Send private email
Friday, May 15, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics