The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Turning down job solititations

I'm a college senior trying to find a job. I posted my resume to a couple job websites and now I'm getting multiple people trying to contact me each day about some job. All of the jobs are fairly shady, or otherwise unattractive. Some are for companies that I can find no information on, some are for recruiters, some for web design gigs (which I have zero interest in), and some for companies who make money via spam text messages.

Should I respond to my voicemails and emails from these people? I can't be sure if they are just randomly contacting thousands of people looking for some suckers, or if it is a real job (that I'm not interested in).
ecd Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2009

Ignore them.  They're trolling
Jason Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2009

You aren't obligated by any means to respond to cold calls.
SM Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2009

I wouldn't feel obligated to reply unlesss they make it clear that they heard of your from legitimate means.

Example: "Joe, I saw your resume on Monster.com and think you'd be a good fit for (obviously bad fit for you.)"

Monster could be "on your website", "got from (college name) job placement services", etc.

good luck, man,
Matthew Heusser Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2009

Why are you lumping recruiters in with shady jobs?  Lots of jobs come through recruiters these days.  My last four gigs came by way of recruiters.

As for web, you can choose to have no interest in it if you like, but realize that a *lot* of companies do web-based apps, even if there's no reason too (e.g. everything is consumed in-house).  So you'll cut yourself off from a *lot* of jobs if you don't want to do web.  (I don't like web either, so I speak from experience here.)  Still, you can do what you like and not what you don't; just be aware of the consequences.
Kyralessa Send private email
Friday, May 08, 2009

You only have to respond to the positions that you're interested in.

That said, if a company/recruiter seems legit, it doesn't hurt to write a "thank you, but I'm only interested in X" sort of message.  And be polite... who knows, they might know of a job in X somewhere.
KC Send private email
Saturday, May 09, 2009

Don't put your phone number on your online resume.

Much easier to delete emails than deal with unwanted phone calls.
WorkingStiff Send private email
Saturday, May 09, 2009

"As for web, you can choose to have no interest in it if you like, but realize that a *lot* of companies do web-based apps, even if there's no reason too (e.g. everything is consumed in-house).  So you'll cut yourself off from a *lot* of jobs if you don't want to do web.  (I don't like web either, so I speak from experience here.)  Still, you can do what you like and not what you don't; just be aware of the consequences."

The OP mentions web *design* in specific, contrary to web development. Now, although I like doing web development its design aspect is something that I neither want to do with, because I just suck in it, and I would prefer to apply my real technical skills in a job.
darkt Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

do not post your phone number in resumes online. Just email.
if you don't want a job don't respond. recruiters actually don't want to be bothered with no thank you. they just see you as a product for sale.

also note, that 90% of mails from recruiters will not end in a job. many times you get a mail about the same job from 5 recruiters or they are fishing. or they may have something. or they did not read your resume or it is not local. or it doesn't pay what you want.

or they want the overnight shift... or its something completely unrelated to what you do, but 1 keyword got picked up.

so don't get frustrated. nothing is solid until you get an interview and nothing is final until you get an offer. so don't worry about it.
Contractor Send private email
Monday, May 11, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics