The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

recommendations for a web host

I'm learning Japanese with a few people, and having private forums up, plus the ability to simply post up images (for kanji and romaji) for everyone to see would be really nice.  In that vein, I've decided to set up a small site off to the side for collaboration, longevity of specific resources, etc.  It isn't meant to be something that's publicly available, just a little resource off the beaten path for 3-4 people.

I would prefer hosting from a smaller company.  Uptime isn't important to me, but freedom on said box, personal help and responsiveness to requests is.

Technology wise I prefer Unix.  It'd be nice if I could have access to any of the following: Python, Ruby, PostgreSQL.  In the grand scheme of things these technologies aren't that important to me and a LAMP stack is enough, so please don't refrain from suggesting hosting because it doesn't support 1 or all of the aforementioned technologies.  The ability to have a shell account is a requirement, however.

Any suggestions?
Fake Programmer Send private email
Saturday, May 02, 2009

please take me in too. if it's ok i will send you an email. Japan has always been a dream for me.

for a free host that support these technologies there is nearlyfreespeech[1].

[1]: https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/
Victor the Python Artist Send private email
Saturday, May 02, 2009

oh and it's for the lamp stack. no ruby and python.
Victor the Python Artist Send private email
Saturday, May 02, 2009

www.eapps.com
Jeffrey Hawkins Send private email
Saturday, May 02, 2009

Yes, please invite me as well. I'd like to get involved.
Mike Sickler Send private email
Sunday, May 03, 2009

Why not have a look at the Google App Engine? Python is standard. You have to use their data store, but I'm not sure how big a deal that is. Up to a certain amount of hits, bandwidth, etc., it is free.
George Jansen Send private email
Monday, May 04, 2009

I decided to go with nearlyfreespeach.  I really liked their attitude :)

Give me a few days to set things up and I'll drop you guys a line.
Fake Programmer Send private email
Monday, May 04, 2009

VPS hosting is the way to go if you're willing to spend about $50/month, but I live in the Windows world so I can't give you any UNIX-specific advice.
The Contrarian Software Developer Send private email
Thursday, May 07, 2009

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics