The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

LOL! PHP/MySQL Programmer Developer needed - FREE RENT

http://houston.craigslist.org/sof/923394457.html

Hi, I'm the Managing Director of a Houston interactive agency. We're currently looking for a PHP/MySQL programmer to work on a prototype software application.

Looking for about 10-15 hours a week of programming commitment - in return you will have a place to stay. Co-working is the newest trend in technology, and you can be part of something big while being compensated fairly. In addition, I will pay for expenses and airfare when we meet investors or travel.

About myself: I'm a 2nd year MBA student working full-time at a healthcare company. I have a girlfriend and dog, enjoy playing PS3, doing non-profit work, web design, and photography

The ideal candidate/roommate should: be able to provide a resume and/or work samples, be considerate, and sign a 6 month commitment.

Pets are ok.

Home includes:

Full stocked bar :) :)
covered 2 car garage
back yard for pets
nice neighborhood with lake, HEB nearby

LOL! Is this the new trend? Is working part time in exchange for a room? Why not get a real job?
ShitAboutToHitDaFan
Tuesday, November 18, 2008

This is a chilling arrangement. The developer would be under the complete control of the MBA, because he's a tenant subject to eviction. Under this arrangement, he wouldn't even enjoy the protection of tenancy legislation.

The 10-15 hours the MBA specifies sounds like a severe underestimate, either deliberate or naive. New products aren't built in 10 to 15 hours per week.

They have a dog though..
bright side

...and a girlfriend :):)
Jimmy Jones

Mr MBA will get what he's paying for. Someone who needs a roof and can't program to save themselves.
Steve McLeod Send private email

The only thing that would make this funnier is if he said you could sleep with his girlfriend, too.
LOL WUT

Well, he didn't say you _couldn't_ ...
glass half full

"The only thing that would make this funnier is if he said you could sleep with his girlfriend, too"

I think this is saved for overtime negotiation.
darkt

I wonder what the girlfriend says...
Ester Fj

$20 says the "free rent" is a bedroom in his house/apartment.

Free room & board is fine and all, but what about money for food or gas?!

I've seen some absurd things in CraigsList, but this one takes the cake.
TravisO Send private email

You must be new to CL.
anon

Or Reddit.
Victor Noagbodji Send private email

"$20 says the "free rent" is a bedroom in his house/apartment".

...on the other side of a paper-thin wall where he and his 'girlfriend' go at it all night long.

Could be worse, at least you get to take the dog for a walk!
Jimmy Jones

Seems like the typical "make my product for me for free, and if I make any money off it I'll give you some" hustle you find at the bottom of the barrel of life (i.e. craigslist).
John

"I have a girlfriend and dog, enjoy playing PS3, doing non-profit work, web design, and photography "

Now be fair... he does non-profit work too. ;)
KC Send private email

Yeah, Craigslist is full of this kind of crap. It really makes you wonder if anyone is ever stupid enough to actually respond to these people.
uggh

>>$20 says the "free rent" is a bedroom in his house/apartment.<<

That's without a doubt what it is.  That's why the ad says "candidate/roomate"
SM

Rent the house to someone in search of a place and use the rent to pay the programmer. It will allow you to find a much better programmer, and for all the reasons mentioned above this is better for the programmer too.
Karel Thönissen Send private email
Wednesday, November 19, 2008

While it's weird and a really bad idea to look for a business partner and roommate all in one, I can see how this would make sense to some people or in certain contexts.

I ran the numbers, and 15 hours at my gross wage wouldn't pay my rent, but it would cover my share of a reasonable two-bedroom apartment (or a modest house).  Odds are housing is more expensive in Houston than it is here.

So you'd have to have a VERY well-defined working arrangement, with strict controls on the hours, but as a side gig, the numbers *might* make sense, even if the reality doesn't.

Plus there are fringe benefits (at least as I see them): access to a PS3, you get to play with a dog (which someone else is responsible for), and his girlfriend presumably has single friends who are just dying to meet a smart guy with good employment prospects.

And hey, if it turns south on you, he's got a full bar, so just drink heavily for six months and then get your own place!
Justice Walker
Wednesday, November 19, 2008

This sounded like a perfectly reasonable arrangement till I realized stock options were not involved.
Dylan Send private email
Thursday, November 20, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics