The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Wiki versus Sharepoint

Can someone please describe the differences between wikis and Sharepoint? 

I'm not interested in "Sharepoint has configurable web parts" etc, I want to know what the differences mean from a users point of view (and the users, in my case, are software developers).

I'm interested in differences in features (e.g. "X supports strongly typed data, Y does not") and also in differences in "feel" (e.g. "We tried X, but enthusiasm dwindled.  When we tried Y, people used it much more often.  We think this is because....")
John
Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Wiki=free form
SharePoint = structured

Wikis, at their root, are like a big common room whiteboard - a place to jot down notes, keep track of little bits of info, track network configurations, etc. Think of something like a logbook or a server notebook.

SharePoint is oriented more towards structured data - libraries of documents and lists. It has hierarchical structure and site-based security.

You could actually host a wiki inside a SharePoint site.

Now of course there are fuzzy edges, and people have been extending wikis to overlap some of SharePoint's functionality. I think there are also wiki web parts for SharePoint.

But those are the basics.

Hope this helps,
Philo
Philo [MSFT] Send private email
Tuesday, January 25, 2005

In my experience, Wikis are much easier to administer than a SharePoint site.  However, you get more with the hassle/lock-in (better document management features, for example.  Wikis are still mostly text).  Wiki is somewhat more of a KISS technology.

We're planning on using SharePoint for formal office documentation and a wiki for more malleable IT documentation--the wiki seems easier to change.  I can administer a wiki largely without a manual; for SharePoint I need a book.  Your mileage may vary.

"Now of course there are fuzzy edges, and people have been extending wikis to overlap some of SharePoint's functionality. I think there are also wiki web parts for SharePoint. " [Philo]

Yes, as far as I can tell they are converging.  There are some non-wiki technologies that are getting closer to SharePoint (I hear Owl is one).  I have read a lot about how implementing a wiki in SharePoint would be swell, but I haven't seen anyone actually come up with a solution yet.

Disclaimer: Philo knows more about Sharepoint than I will likely ever know.
Rich Send private email
Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The difference between wikis and sharepoint is that sharepoint sucks.

I'm at MSFT.  Our intranet is a sharepoint site.  Search on it is perpetually broken.  I can't find a damn thing; everything is haphazardly catalogued in a dozens of folders.  The documents are in every format under the sun -- but mostly powerpoints, which are invariable written in a fragmented, verbless style incomprehensible to mere mortals.  No one goes around updating old or out of date information.  Each page takes at least three seconds to load, maybe longer.
Alyosha` Send private email

What is the difference between Sharepoint and Zope?
Daren Thomas Send private email

Zope is an object database and publishing engine with two layout languages and python as the main scriping language, Sharepoint (if I get it correctly) is a file system view.

The closer comparison is probably Plone and Sharepoint.  Plone is a Zope product, well a bunch of products, which is essentially a CMS for managers to administer to users to use.

As its Zope its relatively straightforward to add new Zope objects, file types into Plone, though personally I find it simpler to begin with Zope and build what I need to on top of that.
Simon Lucy Send private email

Sharepoint solves a fairly specific set of business requirements - sharing & versioning "documents" and information.

Wiki allows users to collaboratively create a website with unstructured content. While many allow you to upload documents, it's kind of an afterthought; the idea is that you link to existing documents elsewhere on the web - whereas document sharing is a key feature of Sharepoint.

Sharepoint has a strict security model, with different roles assigned to users etc. The wiki philosophy is the exact opposite - content quality is guaranteed by collaboration, not security.

Sharepoint allows you to share diaries, contacts etc. - in a wiki you would have to do all sorts of other stuff to make that happen - and anyone could change it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
and
http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/
should help clear up any confusion.
Neville

I need a good book on how to integrate Sharepoint with an existing web site (using their devkit, or what have you).

I want as seamless a transition as possible between Sharepoint and the custom web app I am building.

Thank you!
indenturedServant

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics