The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

bargaining chip with management?

The product I have worked on generated 5 million dollars for our company over the last 2 years. We were a team of 3 developers and a lead.The lead is the toughest and most demanding lead in the whole company, tough but fair.We have crazy deadlines to getmajor complex features done and a stable product, which stands at half million LOC of code.
I have been involved in 12+ major features and 200+ bug fixes in close to 2 years.My second year appraisal went really well with the lead, and he had nothing negative to say. Can I use all these things as bargaining chips with management for a raise? My speciality is doing very fast and very clean work with few bugs under time pressure on complex projects.We work in all 3 tiers of the app, ni seperate db or UI people.
I have created large features with no more than at max 1 major bug found by QA in each.
Can I use this with management as a point for my raise later on?Will they buy into this?
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Of course! Use everything positive that you have accomplished. I tell my reports to document everything they do so they can get credit for it come review time.
farmboy Send private email
Sunday, June 29, 2008
nice OP

that's exactly the pitch you should make for the raise.

good luck
Ward Bush
Sunday, June 29, 2008
yes, absolutely.  I'm an employer and I would never have a problem recognizing performance.
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Yes, absolutely.  If that doesn't work, the best way to negotiate is with an alternative to a negotiated agreement. (That means another offer) 

It sounds like you are happy there, so I wouldn't go looking just yet. "Getting to Yes" and "Seven habits of highly effective people" might help.
Matthew Heusser Send private email
Monday, June 30, 2008
@OP - you make a very persuasive argument.  This, of course, means nothing, as management may take the position that you were "doing what you were hired for" or maybe even "sure, but what have you done for me lately?"  Or maybe even their idea of what constitutes a raise differs substantially from yours?

Can you recast this in terms of what your skills will translate into going forward that will continue to create value for the enterprise?  If so, THIS is your real bargaining chip for an immediate payraise - you've proved your value in past, shown how it will continue in future.  If they still fail to step up to the plate:

Keep in mind that everything you wrote here works very well in your resume, which everyone, everywhere should always keep up to date.
Old Guy
Monday, June 30, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics