The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

modx comments

I've been looking for a suitable web application framework/content management system and stumbled across modx. Has anyone had any experience of using it? Any commenst will be most welcome.
Thanks
Alex
Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Yes. Stay away from it. Try Drupal, Joomla, Expression Engine, TextPattern, CakePHP, or CodeIgniter. But not ModX.

They haven't bothered changing the demonstration pages in 3 years...
Victor Noagbodji
Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hi Alex,

I would highly recoment MODx. For the last  year it's my CMS of choice. And made about 8 websites with it including two staffing sites with a lot of selfmade functionality.

It has a really good user management and template class. It will not limit you in design. It has built in AJAX functionality, is SEO friendly. And most of all, if you know how to programm in PHP you can built you own functionality while using the MODx API/ classes.

The product has about 4 releases a year, a good forum and some wiki's. I made a dutch manual, since there was none.
A down could be that the documentation is some what splitered. Maybe they want to wait with that till the next major release comes public. There will be a complete new 'kernel'

at opensourcecms.com you can try demo's of MODx and many other CMS. I suggest you'll have a look there and choose what fits your needs.

Good luck,

Jeroen
Amsterdam
Jeroen Send private email
Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
Victor, I appreciate what you're saying, but that seems to me to be a bit like rejecting the product because of the colour of the box. Given that this is being developed by a bunch of volunteers in their spare time, I'd rather they sent they're time working on the application rather than a demo site. As Jeroen rightly says, the documentation's not of the best, but it does seem to be well supported by the forums & wiki. By the way, my first thoughts on this was to use Drupal. As I intend to use it as framework as well as a cms, I posted a few questions on the Drupal forum and got zero bites. So from that point of view, it's swings and roundabouts.
So, the scores are tied at 1 each. Anyone else had any experience of modx?

Thanks again.
Alex
Friday, June 27, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics