The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Robohelp learning curve

I am tasked with creating an online help system that will have close to 140 topics. I have used RH intermittently until now and am not a pro at it. The OLH will have context sensitive topics.

My manager is asking me as to how much time I need to 'master' the tool reasonably. Is one week good enough, or should I ask for more?
Technical Writer
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
One week isn't enough to do anything well. I have no experience at all with Robohelp. But I always cringe when I hear developers or IT people announce that it will just take them "one week". Give yourself some breathing room and don't be so darned predictable.

In other words, tell them it will take 6 business days.  ;)
dood mcdoogle
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Use Help & Manual.  Seriously, it's several orders of magnitude better.

I'm not affiliated in any way, but I am amazed by software that makes a boring and tedious process easy and, dare I say, fun.
Anonymous Hippopotamus
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
If you absolutely HAVE to use RH...
A week is probably enough. 
It doesn't take nearly as much time to make the Helpfile than it does to type everything, create links between stuff etc, etc.

I'd say 10 days - that's enough time to do it properly and make it look nice and neat for the user.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
You'll find that after years of neglect, Adobe has done an excellent job of rejuvenating RoboHelp 7 into a fine application for Tech writers. I used it to create 6000 context sensitive topics and the MAP file editor made it easy.

I am not a developer, but found the documentation easy to understand. You will want to check with your developer as to which language or IDE is being used. RoboHelp has APIs for WebHelp, VB, C++, Java and .NET C#.
Hope this helps.
John Daigle Send private email
Wednesday, June 25, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics