The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Book recommendations for MS SQL Server 2005 administration

Hi,
could you recommend a book for SQL Server 2005 administration? I like the Microsoft books online for SQL Server but sometimes find the references a bit circular (e.g. if you want differential backup select 'differential backup' - it doesn't explain exactly what differential backup means in MS terms.

In particular, I'm keen to understand:
- all things backup/recovery in a fair bit of detail
- logshipping
- what you have to use T-SQL for (i.e. you can't use SQL Management Studio)

I've used and admin-ed Postgresql a fair bit, so have familiarity with db concepts.

Thanks
Postgres_to_SQL server Send private email
Friday, June 20, 2008

The Microsoft self-paced training kits are good for a newcomer - MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-431): Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Implementation and Maintenance (Pro-Certification).

They're a little bit of background, then a click here, click here, type this, kind of thing.

Also, the Wrox books are all generally good. Beginning SQL Server 2005 Administration got 5 stars on Amazon.

Friday, June 20, 2008

I have read MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-431) and it is NOT a good comprehensive book for administration topics.  It only provides a good intro to the material.  You could not design solutions after reading this book.  I am looking for a good myself and am I thinking about getting the Adminstrator's Companion Book.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics