The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Annoying Gmail

I try to reply to a critical email and then click send.
The error says

" Oops the system was unable to perform you operation
Please try again in few seconds "

I tried for 10, 15 times and frustrated give up.
This error gives us no clue.

Looks like time to switch over to better email.
jumpingjack
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

OOoooo it's so MISSION CRITICAL, man!
Zealotry
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Earlier I thought only the Linux fanboys were fanatics, but now it seems the Microsoft crowd is no better. Why is it that 99% of people using GMail are EXTREMELY happy with it (mostly friends who are non tech savvy users)?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

>Looks like time to switch over to better email.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
Anonymous Hippopotamus
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The gmail bashing around these parts is starting to get tiresome...
Don't Fix What Ain't Broke
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Looks like time to switch over to better email."

Every email system I've ever used, be it corporate Exchange servers, slapped together Linux systems, Gmail, hotmail, etc etc, has, at one time or another, failed.  It's just the nature of software systems -- they generally all will fail at one point or another.

Suck it up!

Maybe people are just cranky because there's no sysadmin they can yell at?
Dan Fleet Send private email
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lotus Notes crashed on me twice, today.

I can't tell you how many problems I've had with HotMail over the past 10 years. This mail client, that mail client.

But I agree -- one delay, and it's time to jump ship!

OTOH, a more helpful error message

http://particletree.com/notebook/google-checkout-how-to-not-write-error-messages/

would be more helpful
Michael Paulukonis Send private email
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

+50 Michael Paulukonis.

Thanks much for that link, I'm glad somebody else takes issue with Google's error messages.  Seriously, even most of the people in my CS program would put in mildly informative error messages, if for no other reason than to make printf debugging easier.  Is it really so hard to check for specific errors?  At least then "Unknown Error" would mean something had REALLY gone wrong.

And I second the sentiment about cutesy language in error messages.  Maybe if people weren't treated like infants all the time we'd take some responsibility for ourselves and blah blah grumble grumble.
Justice Walker - Crabby Old Young Man
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Given that gmail does virtually all its work on the server, and you can do nothing about problems with the server, putting in specifics does no good. It's not like you can see that their router is down and click a button to turn it back on.

If you can't connect, it really doesn't matter what the problem is. You either can connect or you can't, and that's what the error says -- you can't connect. "why", for the vast, vast majority of users is simply irrelevant.

At least, that's how I imagine the gmail engineers think about it.
Just another voice in the crowd
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"the gmail engineers think about it"

They don't think about it, that's the problem.  They give absolutely no clues to users troubleshooting it.

I get that same error if my wireless router is down.

I saw a demo last night of an amazing AV presenter system which automatically detects what users are doing to ensure that the projector and everything else are working correctly and has remote diagnostics and support.  Amazing what can happen when someone actually thinks about anticipating the users' behavior and the potential problems.
Cade Roux Send private email
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"They don't think about it, that's the problem.  They give absolutely no clues to users troubleshooting it."

If, from the browser's perspective, it can't connect to the server, then there's virtually no useful error message that could be provided.  It could be a transient network issue in the middle, or at Google's end (if it's your end that's out, you don't see that message).  Maybe the server crashed, maybe they're cycling something that connects to the database... who knows?  There's nothing for you to troubleshoot.  Or would you prefer some busywork to make you feel less helpless?
Mediocre Coder Send private email
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I don't know why everybody is bashing Gmail. It's a web application you know: if something happens between your nodes and the server, how is Gmail supposed to know?

All web application speaks the same language when it comes to requests errors: unable to process, you crashed the server (that's reddit), oops something wrong happened.

So stop the bashing already. When the web will be more prone to debugging, this discussion can come up again.
Victor Noagbodji
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Victor Noagbodji: "So stop the bashing already. When the web will be more prone to debugging, this discussion can come up again."

When I am debugging, the first thing I work on is finding out what the error was.  When the error message is obscure, unclear, or unhelpful, this takes longer.

With better error messages, the Web will be more prone to debugging.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Just another voice in the crowd:
>>Given that gmail does virtually all its work on the server, and you can do nothing about problems with the server, putting in specifics does no good. It's not like you can see that their router is down and click a button to turn it back on.<<

This is true.  But, on the off chance the error is related to something you did, a more specific message might just be useful.  Or, more likely, if the message indicates that it was a server-side error, you at least know that you don't need to monkey around with your equipment.

For the majority of users, it won't make a difference, but hey, we're not the majority of users :-)

And the lack of specifics still doesn't annoy me as much as that "Oops!" business.
Justice Walker
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

If I were a gmail developer, I wouldn't want people to receive an error message that implies that there's something they can do about it, even if some action exists that has a small chance of resolving something.  If someone starts tweaking things on their end uselessly, they could screw something up that affects them more generally, and when it's all untangled they're thinking "thanks for nothing, google."
Mediocre Coder Send private email
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

you get what you pay for.....
John
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What I find annoying is Microsoft's willingness to hire PR drones to create threads like this.  Cmon guys...it's becoming kind of obvious now.
AltShift
Thursday, June 19, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics