The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

What is "hot" these days?

Last year, ruby was definately creating a lot of buzz, but I don't see it doing the same this year. So I'm wondering, what is "hot" right now?
anony
Thursday, June 12, 2008

young chicks in sun dresses.
lemon shakespear obrien Send private email
Thursday, June 12, 2008

Javascript and AJAX of course.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Oh man. This new chick in accounting.....
jimmy
Thursday, June 12, 2008

Free-format RPG IV is picking up steam.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Microsofts SilverLight.

If I can develop client side code without using Javascript from my ASP.Net application, then I am one happy chappy.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

The command line is back.
Mr. Lucky
Thursday, June 12, 2008

adobe air
flash > silverlight
Friday, June 13, 2008

Mobile application development. Android, WinMobile, Ubuntu (Mobile), LiMo, Maemo....

Friday, June 13, 2008

Cloud Computing is pretty hawt.
JackDaniel
Friday, June 13, 2008

Silverlight failed miserably so stay away from that piece of trash.
domino
Friday, June 13, 2008

I would say that what is "hot" is the same now as it has always been. That is, the thing that is coming soon.

Of course, seeing into the future is the tricky part, although it can be done to some extent. I don't mean picking next week's lottery numbers, I mean identifying trends.

I have spent my career trying to look ahead a year, so that when I deliver projects they reflect what is "new". Mostly, I have been right, but not always.
Odysseus Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

The iPhone SDK.
John Topley Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

Whatever it is, by the time you learn it it won't be "hot" any more.
Jimmy Jones
Friday, June 13, 2008

C#. That's what I'm learning now :)
Daniel_DL Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

"Silverlight failed miserably so stay away from that piece of trash."

This is cheap anti-MS FUD.

The jury is still out on Silverlight. Version 2 will change a lot of people's perceptions of it.
Work fer a livin
Friday, June 13, 2008

In my opinion "functional programming" is very hot now.

Let me explain: The only reason "FP" had not a rocket start in the biz out there is because there is no "modern" biz which supports "FP" in the way IT people want support: with "modern" libraries, modern development methods and modern development environments and modern training variants.

I think that the shop which gets to support "FP" in Netbeans/Eclipse to develop functionally for the Oracle stack of software (DBMS, App server, etc.) for modern themes will win big time.
anonymous Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

What percentage of browsers have the Silverlight v2 runtime installed?
Friday, June 13, 2008

SharePoint - the last company I worked for sent all their developers on training courses, but still had to turn down work.

C# is also hot, I guess there are less C# people around compared to VB.NET.
Dr GUID Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

Rounded corners and fewer postbacks. (geez)
KooKoo Kachoo Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

<<<The command line is back.>>>

Yep, I agree.....CLI makes things easy....what is also hot is third party developer tools...

C# and VB.Net are also hot....

Future hot may be WPF applications but that all depends on whether or not Vista takes off...
Brice Richard Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, Microsoft are entirely optional.
Friday, June 13, 2008

I am hot.
Jessica Alba/Biel/Simpson
Friday, June 13, 2008

"What percentage of browsers have the Silverlight v2 runtime installed? "

What percentage of browsers have the next beta version of Flash installed? Sheesh!
yikes!
Friday, June 13, 2008

"What percentage of browsers have the next beta version of Flash installed? Sheesh!"

Q. What percentage of browsers have Flash installed?
A. A high percentage

Q. What percentage of browsers have any version of Silverlight installed?
A. Erm, I'll get back to you...
Friday, June 13, 2008

Hot:
Facebook Apps
PHP5, Symfony, CakeMVC
JQuery, Sriptaculous
Ruby on Rails, ActiveRecord (there are ports now)
Adobe Air / Flex (sorta)
C#, ASP.NET
Amazon Web Services

Not:
Silverlight (dead on arrival)
.NET 3.5 (not taking off)
Java
ColdFusion
Sassy Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

> The jury is still out on Silverlight. Version 2 will change a lot of people's perceptions of it.

Ahh, the mating call of the Microsoft fanboy. "Just wait 'til the next version, by then they'll *really* have it right!"
Drew Kime Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

"Q. What percentage of browsers have any version of Silverlight installed?
A. Erm, I'll get back to you... "

So by your logic Flash never should have made it into mainstream programming because there will always be a point in the early adoption cycle where a technology has to reach enough critical mass to gain more critical mass. And therefore no one should have ever taken the chance on implementing any Flash code on their web sites. Silverlight is no different. The people out here who have the "all of nothing" attitude toward Silverlight are just in denial of their inner anti-Microsoft tendencies. It doesn't work that way. It never has.

Silverlight will start being used on enterprise applications where people are in complete control of the client platform. And once it reaches critical mass there its "goodness" will be recognized and it will start creeping into consumer web sites a little bit at a time. So scoff all you want. Then come back to this thread in 10 years and let me know just how far off I really was.
yikes!
Friday, June 13, 2008

Silverlight = Zune

Dead on arrival.
Sassy Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

Good comeback. I still don't see it happening though (same goes for Adobe Air/Flex). XHTML/CSS/JS is good enough for most things now.

And not much point in coming back to post to this thread in ten years because it will have closed long ago!
Friday, June 13, 2008

Flash / Flex / Air is still niche and will remain so for nearly ever. Silverlight is the typical MSFT strategy of diluting the market with a technically superior product no one wants.

I was at the Web 2.0 expo in SF and Silverlight was the biggest booth in the place and no one cared. I saw a lot of abandoned silverlight DVD's around.  The MSFT guy who pitched live mesh got laughed at during the keynote.

And I make my living with C# / ASP.NET, I'm not MSFT-hater.
Sassy Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

"The MSFT guy who pitched live mesh got laughed at during the keynote."

Of course he did. Live Mesh is ridiculous. Silverlight is not. ;)
yikes!
Friday, June 13, 2008

In-vehicle computing is heating up in the automotive industry where I'm at.  I'm absolutely Loving it right now.  I've got a fortune-5 consulting gig and I'm part of a team leading one of the hotest products in this space.  I get to touch hardware and develop software using some of the latest technologies and leveraging older or more season technologies like C++ too.  Solving unique problems in this space has been very rewarding.
~Eric
Friday, June 13, 2008

Perl is regaining a new popularity ...

.. in the need for self-medication.
sb
Friday, June 13, 2008

The weather! 91 degrees here today and we not even in the middle of the summer.
Victor Noagbodji
Friday, June 13, 2008

C++ is so hot I burn my fingers when I peck the keyboard.

Friday, June 13, 2008

"In-vehicle computing is heating up in the automotive industry where I'm at. "

So now we know who to blame when our cars crash!
Jimmy Jones
Friday, June 13, 2008

1s and 0s

Friday, June 13, 2008

Python, while maybe seeming not so fresh, seen-that-already to those in the software business, is making new friends among astronomers, physicists, 3D animators, etc. who are only now discovering it.  Lots of room to create new tools, replace old tools, and handle higher-level pipeline processing of massive or complex data in more smart-but-not-a-geek friendly ways.
Assistant Splasher of Planets Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

I am actually rootin' for SilverLight 2. But I would agree that SilverLight 1(current stable release) is completely uninteresting.

That it does what Flash currently does is all that I ask, which isn't much. Anything that lets me do what Flash is doing, without using JavaScript and ActionScript is a plus.

If I also get to use C# to do it, even better. I see that C# has a good number of votes up here.

Everyone here probably already knows C#, but many of you seem unwilling or just plain refuse to try SilverLight, so that's a good sign for me.
DorothyBooher Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

If I they chose to target the Flash player with C# it would be the win of the century.  Instead they forced my user to download yet another plugin.  That is the fatal flaw of Silverlight.
Sassy Send private email
Friday, June 13, 2008

Angelina, Alba, Beyonce...
Anon Anon Anon
Friday, June 13, 2008

Silverlight could have been something with 3d support.  Without it is WTF (worse than flash).  Cross platform (non windows) is lip service, not a reality.  Very disappointing!
Pete
Friday, June 13, 2008

3D support?  Like Curl?

And I can see in-car entertainment systems being hot at the moment.  The Ford/Microsoft Sync system seems to be selling really well.  The challenge there is probably convincing the auto maker not to do something short-sighted and proprietary.
xampl
Friday, June 13, 2008

At the risk of sounding like a Microsoft Cheerleader, Silverlight 2 has the potential of becoming popular quickly after it is released - particularly if NBC integrates it as per the rumors.  Imagine being able to watch the Olympic events as YOU want to watch them - picture in picture, multiple events, real time interaction, etc.
Rah Rah Rah
Friday, June 13, 2008

"Silverlight 2 has the potential of becoming popular ".

It has a chance to get a boost from the Olympics. Of course there is a chance it will crash and burn. It will be interesting to see which happens.
killing time on Joel
Friday, June 13, 2008

To be boosted or to crash, that's the question.

Friday, June 13, 2008

To paraphrase ABBA,"nothing is more modern than C, C++, smalltalk, perl, python, ruby, lisp, fortran, ADA, or assembly."

Oh, or JAVA and .net. *snickers*.

Actually, I love the idea of a CLR, and managed code and reflection. Perhaps the dynamic generation of special purpose assembly inside a dynamic language will take another leap forward?
PeterR
Friday, June 13, 2008

"The jury is still out on Silverlight. Version 2 will change a lot of people's perceptions of it."

LMAO!  You have obviously never tried to do SERIOUS development with Silverlight and haven't touched V2 either.
stick a fork in it!
Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Perl is regaining a new popularity ...
.. in the need for self-medication."

:-)  Don't look now, but Python is quickly replacing Perl.
jobber
Saturday, June 14, 2008

"particularly if NBC integrates it as per the rumors.  Imagine being able to watch the Olympic events as YOU want to watch them - picture in picture, multiple events, real time interaction, etc."

So what?  You can code that up with many different solutions TODAY.
jobber
Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Perhaps the dynamic generation of special purpose assembly inside a dynamic language will take another leap forward?"

Please explain this.
robofoot
Saturday, June 14, 2008

"LMAO!  You have obviously never tried to do SERIOUS development with Silverlight and haven't touched V2 either."

Way to miss the point. You assume that I'm inferring that people will change their minds to be PRO-Silverlight. I deliberately did NOT say that. The fact is, with version 2 on the horizon, we don't know how it will be received yet.

But keep up the anti-MS tone, it makes you sound really intelligent, really it does.
Work fer a livin
Saturday, June 14, 2008

""Imagine being able to watch the Olympic events as YOU want to watch them - picture in picture, multiple events, real time interaction, etc."

So what?  You can code that up with many different solutions TODAY."

Sure there's nothing new.  But nobody's doing it on the scale of an Olympics event.  And just as people gravitate to .NET because of the libraries + tools, Silverlight 2 offers the same compelling toolset for those in the industry.
Rah Rah Rah
Saturday, June 14, 2008

"And just as people gravitate to .NET because of the libraries + tools, Silverlight 2 offers the same compelling toolset for those in the industry."

What are you talking about? The tools for Silverlight are a mess.

As far as gravitating; an Expression Studio DVD has more pull on the moon than on any I designer I know.
killing time on joel
Saturday, June 14, 2008

"What are you talking about? The tools for Silverlight are a mess."

The tools themselves are a quite another story compared to the libraries themselves.  There are also irritating disconnects between WPF <> Silverlight.  For example

Label.Content  VS TextBox.Text
Rah Rah Rah
Saturday, June 14, 2008

Label.Content?

Wow! So a Label is supposed to contain only text? What about icons?

Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Silverlight failed miserably so stay away from that piece of trash."

+1 for this.

Microsoft like to hijack the way web programming works. For example, they removed inline programming (i.e. allowing Jscript/C# in the XAML code) inside the web page. The inline programming is allowed only in root canvas and not in sub canvases. It kills many things web programmers do such as mashups, data embedding/initialization etc.

Only reason they are doing is use control over client to gain control over server. I hope this will back fire.
Venkat
Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Microsoft like to hijack the way web programming works. "

So again, your whole opinion of Silverlight is based off of your distrust/hatred of Microsoft and not based on the merits of the technology itself. You people are unbelievable!
uggh
Monday, June 16, 2008

MSIL is hot and definitely the next big thing.  It's pedal to the metal and elegant at the same time. Bam!
l33t
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics