The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Win XP: mstsc into a desktop that is in Sleep Mode

I figure that someone here might have had this same question (and my google-fu must be off today) ...

At our work, we each have a desktop computer, and if you are working at home you are likely to (through the VPN) remote desktop into your desktop.

If I don't go to the Power schemes (Power button off of the Screen Saver tab of 'Display Properties') and ensure that it doesn't go to 'sleep', then you can run into a situation where it does go to 'sleep' and you can't remote desktop in (unless someone at work clicks the power button for you).

But, personally, I'd like for it to go to sleep, if I'm not using it.  Is there some other setting or something-or-other that I can set so that I can have the desktop go to sleep and still be able to 'wake it up' so that I can remote in?
Green Giant
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wake on Lan should do the trick.  It certainly works for me - at home or in the office I power down machines when I'm not using them and then send them a magic packet to wake them up again when I need them (it even works via VPN).  Most modern motherboards and network cards support it - you just need to enable it in the BIOS and/or drivers as appropriate.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN
R1ch Send private email
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

+1 to Wake on Lan, which will be in your network card settings and/or your BIOs
TravisO Send private email
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Make sure you also have "allow this device to wake up the computer" for your NIC.

Cheers
WorkingHard Send private email
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

> "send them a magic packet to wake them up again"
Where can I find a tool to send the magic packet?
Joel Coehoorn Send private email
Thursday, June 12, 2008

I just telnet into my router and send them from there but there are loads of free command line tools for windows and linux.  Try googling for WOL.
r1ch Send private email
Thursday, June 12, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics