The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Requiring work domain emails address in online form?

Does anyone have experience in asking for work domains for an email address in an online form or online discussion group vs. allowing any domain (gmail, yahoo, etc)?  I'd be curious to know what the drop rate is to ask for or require a work email.
Chase Maggiano - Capterra, Inc. Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

Not practicably enforceable.
Joel Coehoorn Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

What if they work for yahoo?
farmboy Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

Yahoo staff email isn't @yahoo.com :)
Gavin Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

It's pretty annoying from a user perspective. I don't want to give my work email to someone who could re-sell it, for all I know.
Matt B Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

In fact, if I came across this kind of restriction, it'd completely turn me off from your webpage/application/service.
Matt B Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

I don't think it's such a bad idea. I belong to some professional groups that allow registration via free email accounts, but "discourage" it.

That said, depending on the forum I'd probably create a throw-away email like <nospamthanks@ginstrom.com>, and keep it in play just long enough to do the verification emails.
Ryan Ginstrom Send private email
Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It sounds a bit like saying "I'm really gonna SPAM you so don't try to escape giving me your fourth personal mailbox" (which is probably not a domain you know of, anyway, so you can't tell in the first place)
Daniel_DL Send private email
Tuesday, June 10, 2008

You're erecting a barrier to your service if you do this. I won't say "never do it", but I would say "be very sure that is what you actually wanted to do".

Frankly, I'd have to be _very_ sure indeed that I really wanted a service to jump through any kind of hoops during the sign up process. If I _want_ to give your form a gmail address and it gets refused, I'm far more likely to visit someone else than I am to persevere with you.

I realise this is an anecdote rather than data but for what it's worth, this is how I see it.
Rob Moir Send private email
Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Btw, some years ago I bought Citydesk using a Yahoo! email address.

Nothing bad happened to Fogcreek. They got their money, I got Citydesk.

Had they asked me for a work email, I'd have refused to give it. I wanted that software for a personal webpage.

And what if I am unemployed but I won the lottery and I want to spend money on software?
Daniel_DL Send private email
Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I experienced this recently when signing up for the http://www.wilmott.com forums.  I've had my Yahoo address for 12+ years, but they insisted I use a work address, which changes frequently for me.
Hockey Player Send private email
Tuesday, June 10, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics