The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Will Joel update his story for us?

I wonder if Joel will report back after he gets all of the new fancy desks installed and people have had a chance to use them. I really wonder how many people will actually adjust them to be significantly different than what a standard desk usually is.

Please Joel. After a couple of months, measure everyone's desk and tabulate the results. My guess is that they will all match a standard desk height +/- 2 inches.  ;)
Sunday, June 08, 2008
I'd also like to know just how many people end up standing up to work. My guess is that after one month no one will ever adjust their desks again meaning that no one is going to end up standing. It sounds great in theory but I've had to stand to program/test before and you can only stand about 10 minutes of it before you need to abandon it for a chair. It's much easier just to stand up, stretch, and go for a cofee or a quick walk after long stretches of sitting.
Sunday, June 08, 2008
The guy 3 cubicles over from me stands while he works. It must just take some getting used to.
Sunday, June 08, 2008
10 minutes of standing, say, after lunch, would be great.  Remember they are motorized.

+/- 2 inches can make a big comfort difference.  The real question is will they be adjusted correctly or just randomly different.
Sunday, June 08, 2008
A few of my coworkers have back problems and use the raise and lower functionality of their desks to stand up part of the workday.
No back problems yet
Monday, June 09, 2008
I bet after a few months half the desks are broken, only go in one direction, don't move at all, etc., and nobody cares.

After watching the travesty of auto-flushing washroom appliances I really think some things are best left not dependent on electricity.
Greg Send private email
Monday, June 09, 2008

where I work we have adjustable desks (with motors not manual)
and though I don't stand every day I still do so a few times a week.

This is also very good when you have several people standing around your desk for demos or discussions of stuff on the screens.

I have had adjustable desks before that were not motor driven,
they did not get used a lot, the big thing is that it is painless to adjust them.
anon in Iceland
Monday, June 09, 2008
I have a co-worker that built his own manually adjustable desk.  He goes back and forth with it during the day I believe
Cornelius Send private email
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
I'd like to know how much more productive his rock stars are with the thin edge desk.....hehehe

Tuesday, June 10, 2008
I stand for 8-10 hours a day. Why is standing limited to 4 hours?
Donald Rumsfeld
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics