The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

RSS Icon on the main site

I find this blog and its greta and all and I want to subscribe to it and Im looking at the page and I dont see an rss feed icon. Heck I dont see a little 'xml' icon or an atom button!

Of course now Im told to scroll down two screens to find a small orange box with RSS written in it. Now Im not saying this is some rage inspiring action to be awed at but if not for the end user but for your sites popularity, stick a nice big orange icon at the top of your blog pages!!!!

It might help familiarity if it looked like one of these:

http://www.feedicons.com/

Damn you! Look what you've turned me into =)
Tom J Nowell Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2008

Google Reader tells me that joelonsoftware.com has 42,286 RSS subscribers, and that's only counting the ones who Google Reader.

With that sort of following, tt suggests to me that Joel doesn't really need to worry doing what you suggest!
Steve McLeod Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2008

You don't have to scroll down any screen. Just past www.joelonsoftware.com into Google Reader's Add Subscription and it just works. That's how I subscribe to most blogs. I don't especially like RSS buttons.
Daniel_DL Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2008

You don't get an RSS icon at the right of your browser's address bar when you are at www.joelonsoftware.com?  I get one in IE and Firefox.
SM Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2008

This forum, and maybe the others too, shows me an RSS icon right-aligned on the same line as main title.
Ron Porter Send private email
Thursday, April 17, 2008

It sounds like the folder you deleted from Bookmarks was set to receive RSS feeds. Firefox is capable of receiving RSS feeds, but is not set to receive any automatically, thus reinstalling Firefox won't do anything for this situation. To bring back the folder and its automatically-updated news headlines, you'll have to go to the site where the RSS feed originated, then click the icon on the bottom status bar of Firefox. (Using the default theme, it looks like a satellite, and when mousing over it, it will say ''Add Live Bookmark for this page's feed.'') It will prompt you to select a folder...just type in ''latest headlines'' again, and save it. Then check your bookmarks and the folder should be there, with a listing of updated news from the respective site.

Hope this helps,

http://www.hothitdownload.com
chan Send private email
Sunday, April 20, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics