The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones
Also, some rough calculations:

25 years
25,000 engineers (average over the last 25 years)
2080 hours per year per engineer
--
1.3 BILLION engineering hours

The protocols and APIs announced today could reasonably make a claim to be the distilled description of 1.3b person-hours of software engineering.

Yes, I'm sure my number of engineers is off base, but it's still staggering no matter how you look at it.
PWills Send private email
Thursday, February 21, 2008

In all honestly, the sheer amount of documentation dumped on the public is enough to send me running in sheer horror. Like Joel wrote, you spend the first 5 minutes saying "oh cool!" then a huge wave of depression hits you 5 minutes later as you realize there is *way* too much stuff there for you to do anything about it.

Can anyone honestly see a single developer being able to pick up any of these documentations and work on them by himself? I suspect you'd need a full-fledged team to help you wade through the stuff.
Gili Send private email

The RDP protocol is pretty simple to reverse engineer by just looking at the data going down the line - it's just GDI commands.
There has been an open source RDP client for years. It works very well, we used it to allow Sun WS and X term users to log into a windows server to run Word.
Martin Send private email

http://www.rdesktop.org/
Used it on linux for years
Clint Send private email
Friday, February 22, 2008

rdesktop is actually superior to the microsoft client, since there is a way to run it in seamless mode

Is there any decent, free (as in beer" RDP client for Windows?
Daniel Serodio

> rdesktop is actually superior to the microsoft client, since there is a way to run it in seamless mode

First, the new Microsoft RDP version 6 does support seamless mode - it's called TS RemoteApp. But the Terminal Server must be Windows Server 2008.

Second, the rdesktop seamless mode is somewhat limited. There are quit a number of scenarios it doesn't handle very well. If it works for you then great, just don't expect too much.

Third, there are several products that enhance the Microsoft RDP client with seamless capabilities. You can even find the source code for a very simple implementation on Code Project: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/tswindowclipper.aspx

Finally, if you need a top-notch implementation and are willing to pay for it give our PowerTerm WebConnect a try: http://www.ericom.com/serverbased.asp It support Terminal Servers running on Windows 2000/2003/2003 x64/2008/2008 x64 and clients using Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista, CE and Linux.
Dan Shappir Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics