The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

IT Asset Management Software

My boss wants me to implement a simple IT asset management system - covering desktop and laptop systems, servers, UPS and network equipment.  Nothing fancy, just so we know what equipment is where, when it was obtained, and what software is on it.

Technical requirements - .net, MS SQL backend, web based.

Cost - free is ideal (hey, we are a poor state agency...)

I've started some searching around the place, but just about everything is MySQL / PHP / Perl....

Any pointers?

Thanks.
Ken Ray Send private email
Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Computerworld recently had this tool on their top ten free tool list:
http://www.spiceworks.com/

Have not used it - we use Track-IT Enterprise in our environment, but I am keeping spiceworks in my toolkit for future endeavors.
Silent Wing Send private email

Check out Oracle,not free, but a good measuring stick.
http://www.oracle.com/applications/maintenance/eam.html
Contractor2

humm...Excel? :)
jonathan

I already support something like this within a gov't context.....you guessed it, it's a developed MS Access app I didn't initially build but am now maintaining.....

It's a single app, but you could certainly create a 2-tier app splitting the front and backend.
Brice Richard Send private email

Spiceworks looks good (and contrary to my first fears, it has nothing to do with four untalented English pop "singers").

Thanks for the pointer.
Ken Ray Send private email

(Hopefully not derailing the topic too much) I'd really like to hear what you guys think of SpiceWorks advertising-supported software model.  I decided I didn't like the ads and looked for something else.
Yup

Strangest marketing copy I've ever read:

Spiceworks IT Desktop is designed for
* IT Pros who have admin rights on their network.
* Organizations with less than 250 devices on their network. It will work with more but it won't be as fast.
Anonymous Hippopotamus
Thursday, February 21, 2008

SpiceWorks is pretty cool and how you ever connected it to the Spice Girls makes you sound deeply confused.
Phillip Zedalis Send private email
Thursday, February 21, 2008

I've used Spiceworks for this type of thing on a small scale, and it does include a basic helpdesk capability as well.  It isn't the fastest thing on its feet however.

Another option is to use a vendor-provided admin tool:  For example, if you're a Dell shop, Dell IT Assistant (part of their Open Manage suite) can perform asset management for non-Dell equipment as well.  It isn't amazing, but it is free.

Another option might be to look at Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 - it has a set of build in packs, and it's really easy to set up new ones without development.  At a previous position, we used WSS 2.0 to do our IT asset management, helpdesk, and availability recording.
Kendall Miller Send private email
Friday, February 22, 2008

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics