The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Reading data from Pervasive Software's Btrieve?

I need to read data that is saved by a business application into a database which, according to files it installs in SYSTEM32, appears to be Pervasive Software's Btrieve:

W32mkde.exe MKDE Workstation Edition - Pervasive Software Inc. - Btrieve for Windows NT/Windows 95 v6.15
W32mkrc.dll - Workstation MKDE Resource DLL
Wbtrv32.dll - Microkernel Interface  DLL - Pervasive Software Communications Module

Does someone know whether this kind of database is login/password-protected, and if not, if there's an easy way to connect to it from eg. VB Classic?

Thank you.
ZeFred
Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Yeah, ODBC will do it for you.  Select the Pervasive Engine Interface (not the client)
Old Guy

...and yes, the databases can be passworded.  As a matter of interest the data is generally stored in a .DAT file, but the field definitions, etc are stored in multiple .DDF files.
Old Guy

Anyone else use this software and have problems with .mkd files on network shares?
grover

MS Access 2 can read BTrieve. I think by Access 95 MS had the market for desktop db cornered so it did not need the compatibility anymore.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

ah yes, good ole btrieve.

May you rot in hell you horrible horrible piece of software :)

I've had a few clients who used BTrieve and it's one of those things I'd wish on my worst enemy, but no one else.
Fake Programmer

I'm with you fake programmer.  This one tops my hatred list.
grover

I'm using it as well...haven't got to the stage of hating it...frustrated yea.

And our company are running a 40blnEuro loan book using it.  It's grand...but I've used better.
Andrew

ZeFred,

What the others haven't said yet is that the BTrieve engine allows every "record" in a data file to have a completely different structure from the one before or after it.  In other words, it's not a row/column oriented database.

This means that you have to have a data definition file (the .DDF another poster referred to) before you can access a data file's structure.  If you don't have that, you're pretty much screwed.

It is also possible for the developer of an app that used BTrieve to encode the .DDF into the app so for that app the .DDF is not required.

So ... if you want to be able to read your DB, make sure you have the .DDF files or get them from the vendor.

HTH.
Karl Perry Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics