The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

SharePoint for issue tracking?

Hi folks,

I work in the support group of a small software company. We currently don't have an issue tracking system, and it seems the time has come to get one. We've looked at some third-party solutions, but all were either cost-prohibitive or didn't do what we wanted.

We have an internal SharePoint site, and for the last week or so, I've been doing some playing around. I'm not a developer, but I've been pretty impressed with how much you can apparently do with it. In a few days, I rigged up a comprehensive InfoPath "support issue" form, and set it up in a form library with all sorts of customized views. Originally, I was just trying to put together a prototype of what we want, but it kind of seems like we could just use this to do what we want.

I'm just curious: has anybody else employed SharePoint to do something like this? Any caveats I should be aware of? Thanks!
emga
Thursday, November 15, 2007

What is the difference between an infopath form on a sharepoint server and an ms. access app with a couple of different forms? This is not a rhetorical question. I really want to know?
SCADA Guy

Simple issue tracking is really not that complicated and Sharepoint can do a fine job at it.  We used Sharepoint / InfoPath at my last workplace to track time cards.  I think I spent 30 minutes putting that "app" together and deploying it.

Check out the following:
http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2006/06/07/introduction-to-sharepoint-workflow.aspx

Sharepoint 2007 out of the box supports Issue tracking and associated workflows.
Chris Lively Send private email

SCADA -
There's a lot of differences, however the number one is Scalability.  Sharepoint / Infopath scales out.  MS Access chokes easily which usually causes data corruption.
Chris Lively Send private email

we have a "task list" and "issues" and "risk" lists all using Sharepoint. It's a good tool.
Patrick From an Ibank Send private email

Has anyone done a "web" infopath form to sharepoint connection?

This is so that the infopath does not need to be installed on the users computer.

Thanks
Lee

SCADA, also you can use infopath/sharepoint over the internet, even using SSL and its multi user right away.
Lee

InfoPath rendered in the web browser needs Forms Services which is only available in SharePoint 2007 Enterprise Edition.
Ed

Sharepoint works well and if you use the bug tracking/support template that you can download from MS, issue tracking became really easy for us. 
Add Infopath and it becomes even easier.

I run it on Sharepoint Service 3.0 and it works great.  Sharepoint Portal Server 2007 should be at least as good.
Silent Wing Send private email

So you get workflow built it? Is that through some templates? How hard is it to modify the workflow templates? Does that require visual studio?
SCADA_Guy

There is built-in workflow in SharePoint, I am not sure if it is in WSS 3.0 or in MOSS 2007.
If you want customized workflow, you can use Visual Studio 2005 to do that using WF (workflow foundation) but you need .NET Framework 3.0
Ed

Workflow is available on WSS 3 as well, which I think is great. If you've got a Windows 2003 server, you can use WSS 3 for free and use the workflow functionality as well. Requires some messing around to get it working, athough I'm sure if you're familiar with Sharepoint it's simpler
Doogal Send private email
Friday, November 16, 2007

OP here. I guess my primary concern is that a form library (as far as I understand it) isn't database-backed; it's just a collection of files. Obviously, an RDBMS isn't the solution to every problem, but for an issue-tracking system, it seems like an appropriate tool. I guess I'm just wondering whether there's anything to be concerned about regarding scalability; will SharePoint's filters, search, etc. continue to work well when there are thousands of issues in the system?

Thanks for the feedback thus far.
emga

A form library is yes just a collection of files, since it really is just a document library.

For the monitor bug tracking you want I would go with a custom list in sharepoint.  You can set an on screen form and then generate differnet views.  You can also do drop downs in it as well.

That said, without getting into deep, deep configuation and understanding of sharepoint it is more or less a flat file that every can access at once, which is nice.  If you were going to use Excel for instance, a share point custom list would suit you well.

Plus you can export that list to excel if you need to for reporting purposes.
anon

Yeah, it seemed like just creating a list would be the easiest thing -- heck, they have a list template called issues list -- but it seems too restrictive. For example, you can't do cascading dropdown menus (e.g., select the application, then the version). InfoPath forms are obviously a lot more powerful.
emga

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics