The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Vista is Excellent!

Even without Excel installed, Vista can be Excellent in its own way.  When Internet Explorer shows a list of files on a remote site, any file size larger than 2^32-1 is displayed as size 2^32-1.

Can 64-bit Vista handle file sizes larger than 2^32-1?  Sometimes yes.  The command-line ftp program can show the sizes correctly, just Internet Explorer can't.  Now between the command-line ftp program and Internet Explorer, which one did Microsoft prove in court to be a crucial integrated piece of the operating system?

Screenshot:
http://www.geocities.jp/hitotsubishi/vista_ftp.png

Anyone know where Ted is?  Bill's being Excellent to him.
Norman Diamond
Saturday, September 29, 2007

There is a problem with your spell checker - that should be "excrement", not "excellent".
Tony Marston Send private email

But no one's heard of computation bugs in Microsoft Excrem.
Norman Diamond

Is there a PNG exploit that I haven't heard of?
Ryan Smyth Send private email

Foo Fighter

I have been running Vista for the last 6 months on a desktop with 3.3 GB of RAM and two hard drives. This week I finally had enough and reinstalled XP Pro.  By the way, Vista won't let you do that (no "downgrading" allowed) - you have to wipe the hard drive first.

Vista totally sucks. They have moved stuff around for no apparent reason (e.g. Add/remove programs is missing from the Control Panel), and the thing is soo slooow.
Alf Tupper Send private email

lemon obrien Send private email

My brother has been using Vista for months in a very hot computer. He uses the computer primarily as a Digital Video Recorder.

He did Windows Update, and the Windows Media Player started pausing and refusing to play things back properly.

Last week he dumped Vista for XP Media edition.
XYZZY

I have Vista on a 2GB notebook (the notebook is not my primary machine).

As usual, Microsoft have moved things for no apparent reason. I turned UAC off after a fortnight or so (but more recently and for reasons of customer support, turned it back on).

OTOH, wireless networking just works and some other things are similarly slicker. No performance problems.

No intention of uninstalling.
less is more

Probably only a problem with localized versions.

But I've got 2 "Programme" folders in my explorer.

Very awesome. One is mapped to "c:\program files" and the other one is mapped to "c:\programme".

What the hell were they thinking?
Josef Send private email
Sunday, September 30, 2007

"I've got 2 "Programme" folders in my explorer."

Hate to defend Microsoft but that was probably some crappy installer program which did that. Installers can put files wherever they want, nothing restricts them to the "official" folder.
Jimmy Jones

> Hate to defend Microsoft but that was probably some
> crappy installer program which did that.

I agree.  Vista's own crappy installer program did that.  The Japanese version does the same, with two things in the tree that both look like folders and are both named プログラム 。  But only one can be selected in order to view its contents; the other one gives an error in Windows Explorer.  Microsoft said this behaviour is by design.

Now if Vista's own installer program were Excellent instead of crappy, then both versions of the folder would be displayable, and the displays would assert different sizes for the same contents.
Norman Diamond

Firefox has the same bug though rather than just truncating at the max unsigned 32-bit integer, it rolls over producing completely incorrect results.
SomeBody Send private email
Monday, October 01, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics