The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Hey I thought meta discussion was verboten!

;)

Friday, July 20, 2007

What's the over/under on this thread being deleted?
clcr
Friday, July 20, 2007

Maybe its OK. I don't think he ever banned meta-meta discussion.  :)
sgf
Friday, July 20, 2007

"Maybe its OK. I don't think he ever banned meta-meta discussion."

Why?  What do you mean by that?
old.fart
Friday, July 20, 2007

He's Joel, and this is Joel's Forum.  If HE says it, it's not "Meta".  By definition, if nothing else, since anything said by Joel IS the raison d'etre for this Forum.

It's a nice little logical inversion, there, I do admit.
AllanL5
Friday, July 20, 2007

"Joel on software forum" is part of "Joel on Software". And it's Joel's! Not your's, not mine. He has the right to choose for himself who he wants on his site, who he doesn't. If he feels that anonymous posters with blank, anonymous, anonymous for this and so on post rubbish and creepy stuff and harm the quality of the post, then, he has the RIGHT to weed them out. Because the forum belongs to HIM.
FULL STOP!

I like coming here. I like reading comments and interacting with the regular posters here...Allan, BB, Stephen Jones, SummoRunner...Their comments are insightful. And, it's not hard to find out, that, they are good individuals. I am young. I have not seen life. And most of the time i am not in a position to offer any help or thoughts. But, i want to have a learning experience here. And if people who post as anonymous, anon for this, or blank name whatever have nothing to offer why allow them. Most of them, post rubbish. Those who have the intension to participate into the discussion can stick to name as myself and post! He has no problem with people sticking to a name and posting it. Even if it is not being registered.

Truth remains the truth, and that is we are just participants here. We don't OWN the forum. The person to whom the forum belongs have got every right. Right to decide who he wants to hear from!
Another poster...
Friday, July 20, 2007

And another thing is, as most of the posts from Anon, Anonymous for this, blank etc are creepy one and are personally targetted which most often discourages the new posters and new blood to come in. To be frank, i was discouraged the first time i posted here because, everyone targetted my english skills (i accept i am not good at it) rather than the point i am trying to convey. Some people have the strenght and can ignore all the shit stuff but some people can't. They get discouraged. Discouraged to ask or share their experiences. The more important is to give young people an environment that encourages learning. Encourages them to post as much as they can and express themselves freely without anyone pinning them down.
Another poster...
Saturday, July 21, 2007

--"everyone targetted my english skills"--

With this i mean those posting Anonymously. From no where they would appear and target you.
Another poster...
Saturday, July 21, 2007

It's SumoRunner Dumb shit
Mexican
Saturday, July 21, 2007

Sorry to hear you've been targeted by cowards. But it is a generalisation to say all blank posters have nothing to contribute.

While it is true to say that Joel makes the rules, it is not true that this forum is exclusively his. It is the content, the posts, that gives the forum its value. Without posters or posts, the forum is a static, empty, boring web page. If Joel changes his rules, the effects those changes have on the value of the forum are our decisions as much as his.

I agree that people should try to be constructive, polite etc but that has little to do with how you sign your posts or whether you sign at all.
less is more
Saturday, July 21, 2007

As the forum is "A place to discuss Joel on Software" and he started the meta discussion there, then that overrules the ban on metaposts.

That said, it wuld be nice if Joel emailed the mods before he posted something. I nearly nuked the whole anonymous thread until I saw in one post a reference "to what Joel said" and went over to check.

It's happened quite a lot in the past that I've deleted a thread as being totally off-topic and later found it was about something Joel had posted and had to go back and undelete it!
Stephen Jones Send private email
Saturday, July 21, 2007

Joel said it. I believe it. That settles it.
Fred Foobar
Thursday, July 26, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics