The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Google Gears

"Google Gears (BETA) is an open source browser extension that enables web applications to provide offline functionality using following JavaScript APIs:

- Store and serve application resources locally
- Store data locally in a fully-searchable relational database
- Run asynchronous Javascript to improve application responsiveness"

http://gears.google.com/

What do you make of this?
John Topley Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Windows only -- no good.
:(
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Eh? "Google Gears (BETA) is available for Windows, Mac and Linux".
John Topley Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. There is a REASON your browser doesn't let you do this out-of-the-box!
Syd Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

I think it shows that there are some very clever people working at Google. I'm rather impressed so far.
John Conners Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

It confused me that the 'requirements' does some detection-magic showing your own OS, thought Linux-only was a bit odd!

I'm quite excited about it, it looks like it will be interesting to have a play around with. I'm under the impression that Gears and Dojo-Offline are working together on things, which is probably a good thing.

That's my weekend filled now anyway.
G Jones Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Is a good move IMHO. It already works with Google Reader and I expect it will work with Google Docs and SS.

Do you see what it means? The webapps will be no longer tied to a connection. You will be able to use Google Docs, your email while out of office. I see a great market for this in handhelds where bandwidth is expensive.

I've been playing with this so far and works great. The asynchronous processing is great too also
Masiosare Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

If it's the typical Google "never leaves beta" technology, would anyone build an app/business that depends on it?  Other than that caveat, it sounds cool.
Doug
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Microsoft tried this idea but didn't make a fuss of it:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536496.aspx

Is anyone getting worried we might see creep of web applications taking over the desktop? I'd feel uncomfortable with my desktop powered by javascript ;)
This is worrying
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Its always a trip when synchronicity occurs. I was only wondering about the state of offline web apps last night and then today Google releases Gears. The search last night led me to joyents slingshot and the dojo offline toolkit. I think this is an area that you would have to think long and hard about if your web app really requires it. I also imagine it is an area that will see a lot of rapid development and some very clever solutions as people get their minds around it.

dojo offline toolkit
http://dojotoolkit.org/offline.

a video that contains some info about the general idea of offline web apps and the dojo offline toolkit
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=427145

Joyent Slingshot
http://joyeur.com/2007/03/22/joyent-slingshot
look ma no wires
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Does Google Gears allow someone to SYNC data between offline and online mode?

I ask because it appears Google Reader offline simply marks all of your RSS feeds as "read" then sends it to you for offline use - even if you haven't actually read all the feeds while using it offline.

I would like the ability to create/modify data in offline mode then when I'm back online - have that data synced to the live data. 

Is this possible with Google Gears?
Jim
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Cool: Google Gears for the local data store, Yahoo's YUI for the user interface, and Microsoft's ASP.NET / IIS for the global data store via REST.
Phil C Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

> Does Google Gears allow someone to SYNC data between offline and online mode?

I wonder how they will work with long lived distributed transactions? I pure online-offline mode is easy. What's hard is keeping different data types from multiple locations in different states reconciled. Domino at least tackled these issues.
son of parnas
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Lame...simply lame. Talk about re-inventing the wheel. I see that since you have so much revenue coming in from advertising you can pour it down the drain with bad decisions. Google's approach to software so far has been so poor and misguided, it is hard to imagine any business or large software house to base any serious computing processes on this garbage.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

+1 for the last comment.

Google needs to slim down their operations and make advertising cost effective.

Their days of ripping off mom-and-pop operations until the victims realise what is going on is over. The information about Google's misdeeds is spreading.

To answer a previous poster about magazine advertising being similar to what Google is doing, IT IS NOT.

If I paid a magazine for an advertisement and 20% of the magazines had sloppy, blurry printing on the pages of my advert, the magazine would give me a refund.

Google does not. They hide behind form emails. OK they have cleaned the Content Network up since a year ago, but still it is not right to keep the money.

Google has clever, hard working software developments. However the poor attitude of the people running the business operations lets them down.
Red Devil
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Nobody in the software development community is going to use this. It may on the surface seem good, but dig deep and like everything else from Google is will be in beta for ages, bug riddled and written by kids fresh out of university.

Nobody is going to trust this will real business data. Businesses cannot to afford to lose their data every 6 months.

Working some of the time is not good enough Google!
uISVer
Thursday, May 31, 2007

From their page:
"After installation, please pay attention to the warning dialogs and grant access only to websites that you trust."

That security model worked great for IE!
SomeBody Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

WPF has offline storage. Silverlight possibly have it as well.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

I was going to try this, but then I realised every computer I ever use is permanently connected to the internet. So there's not much added value in this, at least for me personally, and I wonder what the numbers are for the population as a whole.
Jeroen
Friday, June 01, 2007

Jeroen, this is huge for a lot of business users.  I suspect that for the typical person, it's no big deal because they're just using a home or work PC that's always tied to the internet.  For business users who do a lot of traveling or moving around to different offices, Google Apps couldn't be taken seriously as an alternative to Microsoft's equivalents since they'd have no offline access.  It opens up many more businesses to the licensing Googles Apps instead of Office because now execs can work on their Google docs while sitting on a plane and access an important email while sitting at a customer's site.  At least, that's what Google is thinking.
SomeBody Send private email
Friday, June 01, 2007

To store the data on the client, they decided to use SQLite for the client database because of the small footprint.  I find that rather interesting.
OneMist8k
Friday, June 01, 2007

I work in a middle sized software company. We have used Google's software offerings before and although on the surface they look good, they are immature and after a couple of months of usage you will realize just how bug riddled their software is.

We cannot afford to annoy clients with Google's terrible software. It costs us too much money.

Microsoft has a much more mature software production environment that Google.

-1 for Google's bug riddled, amateur products. Good idea, but very poor execution.
GoogleNeedsToMature
Saturday, June 02, 2007

Microsoft's SilverLight and Windows Presentation Foundation/XAML are much more usable technologies.

Google is great at pushing out buggy, immature software products. If you incorporate them into your software product, you will end up looking like dog dirt to your customers when the files eventually get corrupted.

Google is flailing around wondering what to do with its money. So it hires kids out of university to experiment and learn new technology. In the process of their learning they put out bug riddled junk like this.
SoftwareMustWork
Saturday, June 02, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics