The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Which CMS?

I want to make a simple demo for my wife's company of a CMS website.  I'm looking for something free (at least for a demo period) but reasonably feature rich.

My wife's company has a static HTML site (of the "web presence" flavour), and it takes ages for changes to get mounted, and obviously costs plenty too.  They have a Wiki for intranet.

What I want to do is build a showcase of what a CMS could do.  I'm looking for something that is easy for me to install, and is feature rich.  it doesn't have to bear any relationship to the system that my wife may wind up actually buying and using, the ShowCase is the important Step One to getting some creative thinking going.

Internally we are all Windows, IIS and SQL Server, so it really needs to run on that.

I've installed DotNetNuke, but its horrifically slow (might be in need of some better configuration settings, but I read that its Modules tend to slow stuff down, and the amount of round-tripping it seems to be doing does appear to be pretty large!  We have some very complex SQL / Rendering stuff running on that server, and that runs just fine, so the server isn't entirely useless!)

So basically I'm looking for suggestions on CMS brands that I can install and set up a few dummy pages to showcase:
easily changeable content;
Blog;
Events;
Calendar;
Feedback;
News;
Knowledge-base / Wiki / General internal "stuff"
and maybe a bunch of others that I haven't thought of that would be of interest and would stimulate thought about what a CMS-driven site could be used for.

Thanks
Krispy Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Have you tried drupal? It is quite fast and easy to
setup.

It uses php so you should find out if you can
make it work in your setup.

Not sure what is the mssql support status, though.
fede.silva Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Regarding DotNetNuke, which version are you running?

4.5 has significant speed enhancements.

Also, remember that ASP.NET apps take a long time to load initially and are then quite fast. Also worth noting is that if the web app is left for longer than 20 minutes, ASP.NET will recycle the application which will cause a recompile.

There are ways around that though.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

I'm a long-time Drupal user (3+ years) and run it currently on at least twelve different sites...

Do not run PHP on IIS.  Most performance metrics show anywhere from a 40-50% hit*.  Combine that with the fact that file permissions are different and it's just not worth the effort.  If you go the PHP route, do it right and get Apache.

*  Microsoft acknowledged this last year at ZendCon and has been working with Zend to try to improve it.
KC Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

I have latest version (downloaded from dotnetnuke.com and installed yesterday).  I did Google about performance and read about the Dotnet caching, but I've been adding pages "continuously" for several hours, and going round in circles a bit as I try various options, so I don't think I'm falling into that trap (and I get logged off after prolonged inactivity, so I've taken that to also mean that the cache has been flushed).

The server is fairly old, but I'm the only user on it and I have another web application which does dynamic rendering and heavy SQL Server activity, so I think that should at least be comparable! but on this setup at least it does seem very sluggish.

Anyways, I can struggle on, but if anyone has suggestions of other CMS I should try for an alternative viewpoint in my "ShowCase" I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Krispy,

I just upgraded to DotNetNuke 4.5.2, and it has a huge performance improvement over previous versions. Are you running it against Access?

There's also Rainbow Portal, but I have never used it.
http://www.rainbowportal.net/
Hector Sosa, Jr - PainlessSVN Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

You can test live demos of most Open Source CMS in:

http://www.opensourcecms.com
Methy
Thursday, May 31, 2007

@ Methy:

That looks very handy, thanks.
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Drupal and Expression Engine.
son of parnas
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Joomla and Mambo could work.  For a Windows shop you might even consider (shudder) SharePoint.
Joel Coehoorn Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

check out umbraco, www.umbraco.org  It's nice and fast, runs in .NET2.0, SQL Server, uses asp.net caching.  You can get a package for it that indexes all your crap in lucene.net, etc.
Ruatara P Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

ASP.NET applications are slow to start, but once started are fast. DotNetNuke is the same.

My own site runs an older version of DNN and is quite fast. I also run quite a few others with various versions of DNN with no speed problems.

If you have a new DNN site, you might want to try a free utility I wrote for DNN to keep the application alive: http://renegademinds.com/Default.aspx?tabid=71
Ryan Smyth Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics