The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Microsoft "Surface"

Not sure exactly how useful it is, but extremely cool nonetheless:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/
jread Send private email
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Welcome to January 2006, Microsoft!

http://cs.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/index.html
John Cromartie
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Shades of Star Trek TNG.
SumoRunner Send private email
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Yeah, the Star Trek kind of terminal interface. Really really cool.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Heh, they are using flash, and not silverlight

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Oh My, Oh My!

Can you imagine HANDLING MOUSE EVENTS in this?!?!?!?!

Multiple fingers drawing on the screen!!! AARGHHH

We just are starting to feel comfortable (almost) with .NET 3.0 GIVE US A BREAK!!!!
Ari Telias Send private email
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

While I like the idea of not having to plug things into it with cords, all I could think about while watching those videos was how well would an RTS would play on it? ;)

Also I think I read that they will be with in the price range of 5-10k. If I am wrong, someone correct me.
Ooo Ripples..
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

John: Welcome to 2002

Microsoft has been working on this particular multiple-touch display technology for at least five years, recently showing off concepts at the Consumer Electronics Show in January 2006

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

One of the great things about JOS is that there's so much critical thinking going on. I love that.

But come on, guys ... this is just cool. I don't particularly care if it's an idea that's 1 or 5 years old, or if handling UI events will be complicated  ... I'm psyched for this technology!
zahid
Zahid Send private email
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Lately, I'm getting really sick of all the mindless Microsoft bashing that's going on...

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

> this is just cool

MASSIVE UNDERSTATEMENT!

That's just completely off-the-hook uber-cool!

I want one! "While the first Microsoft Surface units won't hit the market until Winter 2007..." :(

FYI:

"In 2001, Stevie Bathiche of Mirosoft..." Under the history section there.

I can't wait to start developing toys & stuff for it! :)

I hope that it's got the typically excellent interface that other Microsoft technologies do.
Ryan Smyth Send private email
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

> Lately, I'm getting really sick of all the mindless Microsoft bashing that's going on...

No f'n doubt... It's almost impossible to even read an article in the mainstream media that is even remotely not anti-Microsoft in a sickening way.
Ryan Smyth Send private email
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Whether from Microsoft, Apple or somone else, I think it will be extremely hard to get this technology to interact as smoothly with physical devices as the videos suggest. I smell driver issues, standards issues, and the ubiquitous usability issues.

But yeah, the videos are cool.
Jakob Magiera
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Google for "Reactable" for a similar concept (and really, this is not to be taken as a snide comment against Microsoft... "Surface" is interesting in itself, and it's only superficially similar to Reactable).
Paolo Marino Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Hey, I'm all for any user interface ideas that are novel.  It would be nice if PCs didn't make such terrible:

artists' canvases
legal pads with pens
music scoring paper
footballs and tennis racquets
musical instruments
books
etc.

performing most real world tasks on a PC is like drawing while wearing boxing gloves.  The pluses of using a computer (storing/backing up, editing existing work) are largely counterbalanced by the clumsiness of the interface.  In a lot of cases, I'd say that the quality of creative work has become worse because of what is easy and what is hard to do using computers.
old.fart
Thursday, May 31, 2007

"I smell driver issues, standards issues, and the ubiquitous usability issues."

Wireless, Bluetooth, USB, and cell phones all seem to do okay. It's doable.
Philo [MSFT] Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

"Oh My, Oh My!

Can you imagine HANDLING MOUSE EVENTS in this?!?!?!?!

Multiple fingers drawing on the screen!!! AARGHHH"

This is why I like server to server, shell script driven ETL apps! (:=)
Steve Hirsch Send private email
Thursday, May 31, 2007

Yes, and "plug'n'pray", er, I mean plug'n'play, seemed to work and mostly does work well, but god himself can't make technology that will satisfy everyone and always work right.  ;)

And mouse events are easy:

Finger on and off the screen = a click, so do something
Finger down and drag = add a dragging event and maintain it until finger is lifted

If each visible object manages its own activity, you can easily have a picture that detects a finger down on a point and moves the originally selected point to where the finger moves to, and if two fingers touch the object then relatively simple trigonometry will allow the first dragger to be definitive and subsequent draggers to move the object to the closest legal position.

Well, it's not trivial, but it's not completely ridiculous.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

I used a prototype of this when I was an intern at Microsoft.  It was cool.  I want one of these when they get released to consumers -- the potential for hacking is amazing.

Friday, June 01, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics