The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Are certifications and advanced degrees necessary for a....

successful career?

I have a BS in CS and a decent gig where I am very productive and well respected for my skills.  I've also taken a few business classes on the side.  But no matter how much I accomplish, no matter how much I'm respected, even though I'm more productive the the certified guy in the department, this whole degree/certification thing is a monkey on my back. 

I am more of a just-in-time learner.  If I need to know the answer to something, I can jump on Google and usually quickly find the answer because I have the fundamentals down and know where to look.  I'm all for skimming the certification (and any tech books) books and absorbing the USEFUL information...but it seems that most of the stuff you're tested on will NEVER be used.  Why bother memorizing a bunch of crap, most of which will be forgotten by the time you need to use it?

I've always thought of the MBA as a career enhancer but now I'm not so sure.  After reviewing the cirriculum, it does not seem like much of the material will help me become a better/more productive programmer.  I could read a project management book to help me manage my own projects better.  A lot of people say that anything less than a top 10 program is a waste of time.  I'd likely end up in a B school since my GPA wasn't the greatest, and not sure that management is my cup of tea anyway (too many politics, too much BS).

Anyway....is there anyone here who has been successful WITHOUT certifications and/or advanced degrees?  Is there anyone who's lives were changed for the better by a certification or advanced degree?
Jake
Saturday, May 26, 2007

Yes, I have just a BS in CS and no "certifications" and was making six digits before leaving to do my own company full-time (where I make double-to-triple what I used to).
John
Saturday, May 26, 2007

Working on my second masters. I am certified as both a developer and a DBA.

certs don't mean much at all. I just have them because I contract and a small number of people like them. My masters don't help that much.

Do NOT quit school and go full time for a graduate degree. Only go if you get an employer to pay for it. If you are young and your employer pays for a graduate degree then it doesn't hurt and its free. Its not that hard.
Contractor
Saturday, May 26, 2007

Ass kissing and manage up is.

Certifications and advanced degrees are not.

Remember those CEOs?

Sunday, May 27, 2007

>> Anyway....is there anyone here who has been successful WITHOUT certifications and/or advanced degrees? <<

A single data point - I've been reasonably successful, and have no degrees or certifications of any kind.
Mark Pearce Send private email
Monday, May 28, 2007

Depends what you define as successful, but I have done pretty well at every job I have been at. I have no degree or any certification.

I think most people assume you have a degree once you have a certain amount of experience anyway. It's never been an issue for me, I know that some banking jobs like degrees but one of my friends has a fairly high level job in a bank and he has exactly the same level of qualification that I have.
Andy G... Send private email
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

sounds like you work for the sort of company that makes a big deal about certs. Most companies don't! But, if your happy and feel that you need it, then go for it and get it done.
Patrick From An IBank Send private email
Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The companies that likes certs uses the lack of certs to justify low wages. It's a very clever strategy that people kept falling for...

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics