The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Windows Server 2008 Beta Download

I have been experiencing trouble downloading the beta of Windows Server 2008, and have decided to "punt" and order the DVD by mail.  I'm confused as to which version I need, however.

When _downloading_, the only choice for those interested in ordering the standard edition is "Windows 2008 Server Beta - Standard" but when ordering by _mail_, you can choose from Standard OR Standard 32 Bit editions.

Assuming I have a 32 bit Pentium IV system, which one do I really need?  Their site does not do a terrific job of explaining the differences in my opinion.
Tom Dial Send private email
Saturday, May 19, 2007

I think if one is 32 bit the other must be 64 bit, so you should order 32 bit...
Donald Duck
Saturday, May 19, 2007

You would think, but this isn't said explicitly, and again, when you select the download option, they do not offer the choice!
Saturday, May 19, 2007

I believe I heard that 64bit is the "regular" edition so it doesn't say 64 on it while 32bit is the exception now with the new server.
Leroy Send private email
Saturday, May 19, 2007

Microsoft has officially announced that they will stop making 32 bit SQL Server software, maybe that applies to the Server OS also.  So probably the 32 bit option will be removed soon.  Anyway all my computers are 64 bit even though some of them run 32 bit OSes.
Donald Duck
Saturday, May 19, 2007

Anyway 32 bit is way too limiting in a server environment...
Donald Duck
Saturday, May 19, 2007

Leroy is correct. The 'default' Longhorn bits will be for x64. If you need x86 then order the version explictly labeled as '32-bit'.

This recent podcast with Wes Miller had other similarly helpful tidbits.
http://www.runasradio.com/default.aspx?showNum=6
PWills Send private email
Sunday, May 20, 2007

>> Anyway 32 bit is way too limiting in a server
>> environment...

I don't agree.  I think that for many, many things, it simply isn't going to matter.  If 32-bit was WAY too limiting, people would have ditched their x86 boxes years ago and bought SPARC-based servers, for example.

On another topic, I downloaded the 32 bit edition finally and it installed fairly quickly.  It also runs (albeit a bit pokey) on my OLD P-III 866 Mhz PC, at least well enough for what I want to do which is to learn more about some of the new features of the Windows kernel.
Sunday, May 20, 2007

64bit is fun to say you have, but many programs will run slower in 64bit mode than 32bit mode on current hardware. We have an app that runs in 12s when compiled for 64bit and 8s when compiled for 32bit. The timse are for the same machine, all we did was change the compile target.

My guess is that: since pointers are twice as big in a 32bit app, thus on apps that use a lot of objects and/or pointer, then they end up using roughly twice the memory. Since the CPU has the same amount of cache, it fills twice as fast and misses at least twice as often. MSSQL server would not run into this problem as much, so it would tend to run about the same but have much more available address space (and possibly RAM).
Stefan Rusek Send private email
Monday, May 21, 2007

You really want 64bit on the server because the RAM address space on 32bit systems means you're limited to 4GB of RAM.  There was a coding-horror article a month or two back that actually put the limit closer to 3.6GB.  That's fine for most desktops, but Exchange and SQL Server would both like to be able to use more than that.  Hence, 64bit is now the default edition.  If you have a 32bit processor, do NOT get the 64bit edition- it just won't work.
Joel Coehoorn Send private email
Tuesday, May 22, 2007

"If 32-bit was WAY too limiting, people would have ditched their x86 boxes years ago and bought SPARC-based servers, for example."

This just shows that you have not yet started programming in 64 bit.  After you start working on 64 bit you will never want to program in 32 bit again.  I don't program in 32 bit at all anymore.  These days I fire up the 32 bit compiler only for the final builds for the poor guys out there who don't have 64 bit computers and OSes yet. 

You will never know how cramped your house is until you move to a bigger house.
Donald Duck
Tuesday, May 22, 2007

" There was a coding-horror article a month or two back that actually put the limit closer to 3.6GB."

The real limit depends mostly on how much RAM your video card has.  With an 8800 GTS you have less than 3 GB available...
Chris Nahr
Wednesday, May 23, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics