The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Clustered IIS webserver config info

At work we have a clustered web server environment, where upon failure the secondary machine takes over the web stuff (IIS 6.0).  This works great, except for one thing.  When we add a new virtual directory, we have to manually add the information on the new dir to the other half of the cluster.  Is there anyway to make this happen automatically?  I see that you can save the configuration of a website, is there anyway to automate this?  Or does it need to be a manual process?
nathan Send private email
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Saving the IIS config likely won't work as it contains may GUIDs and the like which can't operate at the same time on two different servers.  (If you have a direct 1 to 1 failover, 1 server ready for every 1 live server, then this may work.) 

I would also be interested in hearing any automated copying options.
I forgot my posting name.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Matthew Crumley Send private email
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Matt,

That looks like what I'm looking for.  Thanks.
nathan Send private email
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I have used this before... I had problems with it remembering/using iusr_machineName accounts from one server to the next. 

Basicly, iusr_compA was copied to compB, where it should be iusr_compB.  I believe I was using the copy command... a work around seems to be addressed in the article.  So, watch out for this and good luck.
I forgot my posting name.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics