The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Question: visual studio 2005

when you press F12 it doesn't go to code anymore but metadata. is there an option to make vs2005 to go straight to code?
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

VS2005 shows the metadata when it can't find the source file. This can happen if your solution has several assemblys
and you try to 'jump' from one assembly to another.
HelterTester
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

is there a work around?

thank
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

yeah include the project itself and not the assembly (if you own the code of course)
jonathan
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

i did add project and not the .dll itself. it still go straight to metadata and not the code.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Then you are referencing that project incorrectly. You are probably referencing the DLL instead of the project...
... Send private email
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

"Then you are referencing that project incorrectly. You are probably referencing the DLL instead of the project..."

i don't quite understand. you go to reference and click on the project that you want to reference to. is there some other way or what is the correct way to reference the project.

i'm a bit confused.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Call, Microsoft Product support.

They can help you.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

This is the thing that really irritated me, a VB6 programmer. MS didn't changed just the syntax and added a 40MB framework you had to memorize...they changed everything! It'd be easier for me to move onto VB.NET if they didn't start to confuse EVERYTHING from IDE shortcuts to something that was common between VB6 and VB.NET and yet they changed that too! In the end, it became a "learn something totally new starting with zero knowledge" kind of thing so I decided to stick to VB6 with the many apps I've developed unless I needed to build one which needed a feature that VB.NET could provide but VB6 couldn't such as mobile...
Ezani Send private email
Thursday, May 17, 2007

@Ezani:
A whole lot of ink, toner, blood, sweat, tears, etc have been spilled over this entire issue but Microsoft is not going to back down now.
On the plus side, I seem to see a whole new level of interest in third party programming tools and IDE's, which may provide the welcome breeze of new competition for MS...the fact that several million programmers (and their entire libraries of proven working code = business assets) could be disposed of so arrogantly shows that MS's real comitment is not to the programmers (Steve Ballmer notwithstanding) but rather to the bottom line.  This is not inappropriate for a "for-profit" company, but you have to know where you stand and what you can expect going forward...
Old Guy
Thursday, May 17, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics