The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

The KB931768 DLL blues

Has anybody else had problems with the Windows KB931768 update for Internet Explorer 7 messing up their programs?

Our program does some dynamic library loading at run time using LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress. Late last week we started getting some strange bug reports, but from some pretty reliable customers. I duplicated the problem by applying all the May high-priority updates, and found that uninstalling KB931768 removed the problem.

If you are doing run-time DLL loading, watch out for this one! Microsoft has done this before. Remember when an earlier IE update broke scroll bars in all other applications for several months?

If you are having a similar problem in your application I would like to hear about it, especially if you have figured out a different workaround beyond the uninstall. A quick check of the web showed that even IE7 may be having some pretty severe problems with its own update!

Fortunately our Mac version is unaffected :-).
Cross-platform developer
Monday, May 14, 2007

Could you be more specific about the types of problems this presents for those doing LoadLibrary(), GetProcAddress(), or post a link to a Microsoft site that explains why this might be?

I could not find a technical explanation of what this patch does and how it might interfere with these APIs.

Thanks,
MREX
Meganonymous Rex Send private email
Monday, May 14, 2007

Remember when MS broken windows help files (chm).  They never fixed it making the format useless.  What kind of a company does that?  At least give an option that is intuitive to the user when they try and open the file (the behavior is that the help file looks empty).  Good job MS!
Pete
Monday, May 14, 2007

GetProcAddress?

Sounds like address space randomization feature is hitting you?

Monday, May 14, 2007

I can't be much more specific yet. Calling a function returned by GetProcAddress works great without KB931768 installed and returns an error with KB931768 installed.  I've got a case logged with Microsoft so we will see what happens.
Cross-platform developer
Monday, May 14, 2007

I have 931768 installed on Windows XP SP2 and LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress works fine (my app is based on it).  VERY interested to hear what you find out.
PA Send private email
Monday, May 14, 2007

Does your application run in IE?

Does it use the IE activeX control to show a browser within it?
Billy Send private email
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Have you tried reading the documentation and assuring that you are not relying on undocumented behavior that used to work prior to the patch and no longer does?
anon for this
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Win XP Pro w/SP2 IE7
I also experienced problem with KB931768.  Immediately after reboot I had not internet.  I could send/receive emails and even connect to our entire network.  I could \\server, etc.  I simply had no Internet Explorer.

Once I removed KB931768 everything was fine again.
Stan McGuire Send private email
Thursday, May 17, 2007

It looks like this is a memory issue. Some of the updates DLLs in this update appear to be using more memory - enough that they apparently pushed our memory usage over the edge. Microsoft is still doing some additional investigation. But so far it seems that, fortunately, this is not the type of more widespread problem that some IE updates have caused in the past.
Cross-platform developer
Saturday, May 19, 2007

Win XP Home w/SP2 IE7
I also experienced problem with KB931768.  Immediately after reboot I had no internet.  I could send/receive emails and even connect to our entire network. I simply had no Internet Explorer.

Once I removed KB931768 everything was fine again.

Chris Falzon
Christopher Falzon Send private email
Sunday, May 20, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics