The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Removing ! exclamation points in HTML emails

Been battling this for a while, and must be missing something.

We have a php script which dynamically composes an HTML email. Sometimes, the emails can be quite long.

Every so often, in the email, an exclamation point ! appears in the html.

I researched this years ago, and apparently it has something to do with the way emails are encoded and the email protocol itself. The suggested solution indicated that line breaks were necessary.

So, we have our php code inserting \n escape codes all over the place, but this does not seem to be solving the issue.

Does someone have the quick-and-easy answer to solving this? Has *anyone* had this issue, or am I just nuts?

Thanks -
ExAnon
Monday, May 14, 2007

I've never experienced this issue.  I am PHP developer who has used a large number of different servers to send HTML emails.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email
Monday, May 14, 2007

If you are sending HTML emails, you must be MIME encoding the messages.  It's possible that your MIME code is doing something weird.  Check your email rendering before sending the messages to see if there are exclamation points.  If there aren't, than maybe some other mail processing software on your server is adding them.
Monday, May 14, 2007

According to http://cr.yp.to/docs/smtplf.html , you should never put a \n in an email message--it should be \r\n (I know because a customer's email server rejected some of my mails that had bare \n).  Not sure if it has anything at all to do with your problem, but maybe...
Doug
Monday, May 14, 2007

I believe nearly all unix email software handles that situation for you.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

You'll have to show some examples before we believe you.
nobody special
Tuesday, May 15, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics