The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Best place to ask a technical question about CVS with Tortoise?

SHORT QUESTION

Can anyone point me to a good forum for CVS questions?

LONG VERSION
If any CVS experts are lurking around, here are the gory details.

I'm using CVS with the Tortoise GUI front end. I like it because it's pretty transparent. I.e., I work with files like I always do and when I  take a "snapshot" not and again so I have an historical "undo". (I know subversion is superior but it's too complicated for my needs.

At this pint I'd be happy to remove my whole folder from CVS version control and start all over, since it's so out of date it's useless now. But I can't figure out how to do that.  Doing a REMOVE didn't resolve the problem and RLEASE gave a pretty scarry messages about reverting to the last version in the resposity.

But... I'm getting an error with a couple of my files. Which measn I can't commit ANY of my files. I blew this off for months and it just cost me 3 hours of work that would've been avoided if I had a snapshot of one file from 2 months ago. (Instead I had one from 7 months ago).

IN CASE ANYONE ASKS, here are the errors:

I do a CVS COMMIT on the file and get:
In C:\Webs: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "commit" "-m" "" "bungalow/aphasia2_screen.htm"
CVSROOT=:local:p:\repository

cvs.exe commit: sticky tag `1.5' for file `bungalow/aphasia2_screen.htm' is not a branch
cvs.exe [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

Error, CVS operation failed

I look at the file history and there are no tags assigned (and thus none to delete). I try to delete anyway (figuring, hwy might be a phantom). Get an error:
In C:\Webs: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "tag" "-c" "-d" "" "bungalow/aphasia2_screen.htm"

cvs.exe [tag aborted]: tag '' must start with a letter

Mr. Analogy Send private email
Friday, May 11, 2007

BTW, tried the tips at:
http://owen.sj.ca.us/rkowen/howto/cvs.html
for dealing with the error "tag not a branch'

Tried to commit, but tag isn't a branch. Tried to create a branch but it was locally mocified (and I assume needs to be checked in?)

Catch-22 it seems.

TRIED COMMIT
 - cvs.exe commit: sticky tag `1.5' for file `bungalow/aphasia2_screen.htm' is not a branch
cvs.exe [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

TRIED "BRANCH' (turn tag into a branch)
  - No branch names existed so I chose "Create New branch" and called it DUMMY
  ERROR: In C:\Webs: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "tag" "-c" "-b" "dummy" "bungalow/aphasia2_screen.htm"

cvs.exe tag: bungalow/aphasia2_screen.htm is locally modified
cvs.exe [tag aborted]: correct the above errors first!

Friday, May 11, 2007

check what is in CVSROOT/val-tags
jk
Friday, May 11, 2007

also once you have your repository in a working state you may want to consider upgrading to subversion (there is a tortoise svn too), it has atomic commits which makes the whole thing more robust. the interface is pretty similar to cvs and iirc there is a cvs->svn tool
jk
Friday, May 11, 2007

ARGH! STICKY TAGS!

http://noc.postnuke.com/docman/view.php/6/41/guide.html#updateA

Try that, not the branch stuff from the other link.

In the future if you are trying to revert changes, you need to 'merge', not just checkout version 1.5.  if you were just trying to look at an old version, go to cvs -> history and view from there.

I remember the cvsnt guys had a mailing list that was better than the tortoise one, but I haven't checked either in a while.

If you're really fed up, just search for all of the hidden cvs folders in your local copy, delete them, and re-import as a new module.  Obviously a horrible and bad practice...
Grant Send private email
Friday, May 11, 2007

"I know subversion is superior but it's too complicated for my needs."

What?  Subversion is easier than CVS in every way (except maybe server installation on Windows -- never tried that).  Even TortoiseSVN is better than TortoiseCVS.

Anyway, make a copy of your entire working copy and then delete all the cvs directories (just do a search in Windows Explorer and delete them all).  Then you can start over with a new repository.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email
Friday, May 11, 2007

I set up Subversion and Tortoise SVN with absolutely no experience either with SVN or CVS. SVN is dead simple to install locally and fairly easy to do so on a server.

SVN has a 'cleanup' command to do maintenance on its repository that is recommended whenever commits to the repository crash. Look for something similar in CVS.
Bored Bystander Send private email
Friday, May 11, 2007

i've used the ole school cvs and tortoise; and after you figure out the basic of tortoise, its a nice interface on top of windows...i have no idea how well it works on macs...does it?
lemon obrien Send private email
Friday, May 11, 2007

Thanks Grant. Your 'delete hidden cvs foldrs" did the trick.
I've tried SVN a couple of times, spending many hours I'll never get back <sigh ;-)>. Just couldnt' wrap my head around the checkout model. I prefer the "here's m yfiles, I'll check in a version every now and then".

Other than this glitch, CVS is painless, with zero effort. I check stuff in everytime I'm doing a big edit or routinely. otherwise I just forget about it.
Friday, May 11, 2007

"Just couldnt' wrap my head around the checkout model."

I don't understand.  How is the checkout model any different in SVN than CVS?  I converted to SVN from CVS.  I imported my repository, uninstalled TortoiseCVS, installed TortoiseSVN, and there was really no difference.  Right-click update, Right-click commit, Right-click checkout.  It's like 80% identical and the 20% that isn't is because SVN is vastly superior.

You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming back to CVS.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email
Saturday, May 12, 2007

"here's m yfiles, I'll check in a version every now and then"

FWIW that's exactly what I do with SVN and Tortoise-SVN.
Krispy Send private email
Saturday, May 12, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics