The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Dog Food?

What ever happened to "eat your own cooking?"

Dog food sure sounds disparaging of your work.  Didn't Bill Gates start the dog food thing?
John Hindman Send private email
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Dog food manufacturers don't eat their own product (well, you hope anyway!). P

Perhaps the notion of trying something you normally wouldn't is how the name came about.
Tommeh Send private email
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Christopher Wells Send private email
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I think part of it is that "dog food" is a manufactured product.  And it's made for a 'customer' different from the manufacturer.

And it's NOT something you'd normally eat, so being reminded that it really IS supposed to be edible is important.
AllanL5
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Well hopefully the dog food manufacturers don't eat it lately.  The melamine the the Chinese add to food to simulate protein turns out not to be such a good idea.  When you do it to your own citizens there is not much blow back, but when you contaminate exports...
in the news
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

>Dog food manufacturers don't eat their own product (well, you hope anyway!). P

I know that in the UK that manufactorersg have tasters to eat dog food to check it for texture and flavour.
Not telling
Thursday, May 10, 2007

I prefer Thomas Siebel's version of this idea: "Sipping our own Champagne"
Tim Hastings
Thursday, May 10, 2007

"I know that in the UK that manufactorersg have tasters to eat dog food to check it for texture and flavour."

In the UK, unlike most other countries, pet food has to be fit for human consumption, therefore it's safe for a tester to sample it.
Andy G... Send private email
Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that were that requirement for a human taster here, the dog-food problem would have come to light a lot sooner.  And Chinese imports would have been banned a long time ago.
Clay Dowling Send private email
Thursday, May 10, 2007

---"In the UK, unlike most other countries, pet food has to be fit for human consumption, therefore it's safe for a tester to sample it."----

We got hit by that when I worked as a butcher in Tescos 35 years ago. The head butcher took the meat that expired that day, and stuck a 'for dogs' label on it, and put it back. The manager really barked at him.
Stephen Jones Send private email
Thursday, May 10, 2007

"eat your own dog food"...that was a Larry Ellison quote
Here's another:
Tech humor: "Life is like an outer join, you never know what row toexpect..."
Hiking around
Thursday, May 10, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics