The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

To Go or Not To Go? That is the question.

About six months ago I started a QA position that I hoped would add to my existing skills. I accepted the job even though a few others companies offered more money. Although I have learned new things, the manager seems the type that allows personal issues affect his attitude at work. A few times I felt like I was being treated like a child even though I had not done anything wrong.

Recently, a few friends of mine started working at a company that has a few open positions. They have encouraged me to apply for a Sr. QA position. The money is great, location is almost the same, more hours to work but it seems like people enjoy working there. Even people that only interviewed there have said positive things about the company and the VP of Tech.The downside is that I am not sure I would be picking up new skills there.

My current work environment is a little boring and my boss does not help things. However, I feel guilty about leaving and wonder how it would look to future employers.

Has anyone gone through something like this? Any advise on how to handle this is greatly appreciated.
LostInQA Send private email
Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Six months is long enough that you ought to include it on the resume, but short enough that you can go to your current company and say "I'm sorry, but it's just not working out between us.  My last day is two weeks from today."
xampl Send private email
Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Are you a CHARITY?

If yes, then stay.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

This one is pretty easy.  Go.

Mention your concern about skills and see how they address it.  There is always a chance to build skills.  Setup the continuous build server, learn subversion, hack makefiles, install jira.......
whatever floats yr boats Send private email
Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Let's see -- your current job treats you like a child.  The new job would be a more responsible position, and other people seem to like it there.

I'd move in a heartbeat.
AllanL5
Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I don't get it. Why are so many people afraid of making more money?

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Its every person for themselves. I would jump make more money and start "stashing the cash".
StashTheCash
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

This is a no brainer - leave. If you're in any position where you're treated like a child instead of a professional, get the hell out ASAP. I had a former boss who was like that and I bailed, along with several others.

If you're worried about picking up skills, you can always ask to work on various projects. Some examples:
1) Automation (scripting, WinRunner, etc.)
2) Regression testing (NUnit, C++, etc.)
3) Documentation (if that's your thing - not for everyone)
4) Build machine
5) Test tool development (This is always needed! You can't underestimate how important this is.)
6) Bug tracking system (roll your own, Bugzilla, etc.)
QADude Send private email
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Think about it this way: when you get paid at the end of the month, you're even. No one owes anybody anything.

Leave without a moments hesitation.
Nick H
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Don't waste any more brain cycles on this...Just do it! You'll be so happy you did!
GOOD LUCK!
Hiking around...
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

take the money and run
Captain Nemo
Wednesday, May 09, 2007

In six months you have probably picked up most of what you will do no matter how long you stay.

Unless the other company is hopelessly backward, it's time to move.

Life's too short to be miserable. Note to self: apply in my own life!
dot for this one
Thursday, May 10, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics