The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Browser Wars II: This Time It's Impersonal

Is Silverlight really going to work on the Mac? I mean, really really? No hidden gotchas if you ain't using Windows?

Or are we going to see another effort by Microsoft to bear-lead the market into another version of Browser Wars?

Well, I guess it will keep us all employed. Now things we did in Flash/Flex will have to be done in Silverlight too ... and DHTML.
Paranoid Android Send private email
Thursday, May 03, 2007

I just tell myself -- eventually they'll get it right.  Soon after that, the revenue stream will dry up.  "The XYZ platform is the last platform you'll ever need".

But it hasn't happened so far.
AllanL5
Thursday, May 03, 2007

I am with you on this. :-) It's a healthy skepticism.

But "Browser War" is not the full picture here. 10 years ago, Microsoft was a little smaller and had a clear cause: provide an alternative to Netscape's dominance.

Nowadays, Microsoft is a lot bigger and already dominates a lot of the market. The introduction of one more alternative is to the detriment of Microsoft's own victories and stable platforms as well... Trying to direct it at the "enemies" is not a "clear cause" this time around, because the enemies are more fragmented (Sun, Adobe, Linux, Java, Apple, Sony)...

It's much easier for Microsoft to shoot itself in the foot than for it to get ride of its enemies... As unbelievable as it may be, it has come a time that Microsoft needs to be good for it to be allowed to grow outside of its PC market or be considered too dangerous as a team player and be ignored for ever...

Even IBM is a "team player"... Can Microsoft join the "dream team" or not? :-)
Joao Pedrosa
Thursday, May 03, 2007

There are a lot of influential nerds that use Macs now, or so we've been led to believe. If they half-ass the Mac version, those same nerds could cause the general opinion on this thing to go south.

Hypothetically, that is. The cynic in me still thinks it's likely that the Mac version gets half-assed anyway. It's like the president said: "Fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."
JS
Thursday, May 03, 2007

We have this duality of sentiment about Microsoft.

We don't like them, we don't want them to dominate the world, but at the same time, we don't want them to fail.

The Safari/IE competition, as annoying as the browser inconsistencies are for developers, has been a good thing and have pushed the technologies forward.
OneMist8k
Thursday, May 03, 2007

"If they half-ass the Mac version, those same nerds could cause the general opinion on this thing to go south."

This will come to pass.  Microsoft will NEVER put any other operating system on a level playing field.  If you learn nothing else in this life time, learn that.
yer mosehhmid
Thursday, May 03, 2007

One of our larger customers requires our web app work on Macs. We use flash for one important piece because it *does* work with Macs. For us, if Silverlight lacks the same functionality cross platform, then it is a non-starter. We're an MS gold partner.
Peter
Thursday, May 03, 2007

I don't care who comes out with it, but I want cross platform development to be easy if that's going to make everyone happy.

I just wish that Adobe would make a C# to Flash bytecode compiler so I wouldn't have to use Actionscript. I mean C# is an ECMA standard language that anyone can implement right? I guess that won't be happening though since Adobe already sued Microsoft for using the "standard" of PDF in Office...

Anyway, I've been checking out Mono lately. Sharpdevelop + Mono seems really nice...I was able to compile an Exe on Windows and then run it in OpenSuse with no problem. Of course that was just a single form application...I'm not done testing that out yet.
Wayne B Send private email
Thursday, May 03, 2007

There are bound to be some differences; just look at Java.

If you mean 'will MS purposely cripple Silverlight on the Mac', then no, I don't believe they will... I could be wrong though, they've done worse in the past
Nick H
Thursday, May 03, 2007

'I just tell myself -- eventually they'll get it right.  Soon after that, the revenue stream will dry up.  "The XYZ platform is the last platform you'll ever need".'

Why?  Is it going to kill me?

(If you try this line out, please let me know the new colour of the salesdroid.)

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gene Wirchenko Send private email
Thursday, May 03, 2007

"I mean C# is an ECMA standard language that anyone can implement right?"

C# is also tied to the .NET framework, which is encumbered by MS patents.
clcr
Thursday, May 03, 2007

This reminds me of when ActiveX reared it's ugly head. There were the same "this will revolutionize the internet!" cries, people on other platforms worried they'd be locked out of the web, and developers wondering how they were going to deal with it in a cross browser fashion.

It didn't revolutionize the internet. A few nifty intranet apps came out of it, a whole lot of broken web pages for those that got sucked into the hype, and eventually a protracted stay in hospice for the technology*.

The same thing is going to happen this time. We're already hearing how wonderful it is, so there's going to be bandwagon jumpers that get burned. Silverlight won't get the penetration that Flash already has. However much they trumpet "cross-platform!", every technology MS has ever put out has only worked with all advertised features when tied to a Windows box. Eventually it will settle into it's own niche, it's early, obnoxious precociousness thankfully beaten out of it so that it can lead a normal and productive life.

---

* I know, I know - it's still out there, and there's lots of places where it's happily chugging along. One of those places isn't the great wide web.
dwayne
Thursday, May 03, 2007

"C# is also tied to the .NET framework, which is encumbered by MS patents."

It's slightly incorrect. C# is a ECMA standard; also is CLI. .NET doesn't get into it.
Rick Tang
Thursday, May 03, 2007

The problem with activeX is that EVERY app had to be downloaded and installed. Also the permission level of activeX was very lax as any ActiveX component had full control of the PC. This made users very leery of ActiveX.

Silverlight is more flash like. You install ONE component and then it will run any Silverlight app. I am not sure about the security implementation but I am sure MS won't repeat the ActiveX debacle.

I don't see this as that big for random web apps used by the general public. BUT I do see this thing as HUGE for intranet apps. You can leverage XAML for the presentation and have .Net services for the back-end. No need to install .NET on every desktop.
Ted
Thursday, May 03, 2007

"Is Silverlight really going to work on the Mac? "

Yes

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Was Windows 1.0 going to take over the world?

Was Windows 2.0 going to take over the world?

Was Windows 3.0 going to take over the world?

Thursday, May 03, 2007

> We have this duality of sentiment about Microsoft.

By "we" you mean "some people" ?
nobody special
Friday, May 04, 2007

How about on Linux? Or other Unix variants?
dot for this one
Friday, May 04, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics