The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

New Essay: The Linus Torvalds Bus Factor

Hi all!

I wrote a new essay (based on an email thread) about some problems I see with the management of the Linux kernel (and some other projects), and how to resolve them:

http://shlomif.livejournal.com/41088.html

Comments are welcome either here or there.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish
Shlomi Fish Send private email
Thursday, April 05, 2007

You want Linus to get hit by a bus. That's pretty sick.

Are you trying to get Slashdotted?
Moral Minority
Thursday, April 05, 2007

Linux without Linus would be like Apple without Steve Jobs.

i.e. Bye bye
Bus driver
Thursday, April 05, 2007

Your choice of language is somewhat inflammatory, which can't be a good thing if you want a serious discussion about a sensitive issue.

In any case, why are you bringing it here? Shouldn't you be discussing it with the people actually involved in the kernel, especially Linus?

And finally if you fundamentally don't like the way that kernel is being developed, why not start your own fork?
Sunil Tanna
Thursday, April 05, 2007

Is Shlomi a Yiddish term for narcisstic?
Yawn
Thursday, April 05, 2007

"hit himself with a bus" ?

You're going to need to rephrase that.  I'd suggest dropping the reference to the the untimely death of a son, brother, husband, and father, but if you think your article needs some gratuitously incendiary language to get readers then at least realize how awkward it is to try to hit yourself with a bus.
Lex
Thursday, April 05, 2007

Will you people start being more mature and make less "style over content" logical fallacies? "What if Linus gets hit by a bus" is a shopworn question that has become a myth and a phrase:

http://www.crummy.com/writing/segfault.org/Bus.html

By saying "Hit someone with a bus" or "bus factor" I mean what if something neautralises this person who is essential for the advancement of the project.

Now - if someone has something more meaningful to say about the article's content, please voice his opinion here or on the blog entry.

Happy Passover, Mimuna and Easter!

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

P.S.: I am very much an ego-maniac, (all philosophers are) but have been publicising many essays and articles I wrote here, as they are general and relevant. I've also been contributing some comments to other people's posts, so while being ego-maniac, I have been a contributing member of this society. And not taking my article into account just because it's mine is the ad-hominem fallacy.
Shlomi Fish Send private email
Thursday, April 05, 2007

The link you provided mentions "Gets Hit By A Bus" which I guess you can figure out is more natural than "hit himself with a bus"
Lex
Thursday, April 05, 2007

No offense but you come out sounding like a complete moron.
(This comes after concluding that what you said is not what you wrote is not genuine and you are doing this probably to get some free press and traffic - yes, I am highly doubtful you will achieve even this low a bar).

Try something less stupid next time.

Ghalib (The Urdu poet) once said - There is no dearth of idiots in this world - look for one and you will have found thousands. Rarely does one see thousand idiots in one.
annu_gogte
Thursday, April 05, 2007

The point that your post was written in an inflamitory style and thus will be non-effective in delivering your point to the intended audience is not a personal attack on you.

Additionally, your post has no real content.  I see no support for why you think the current system is failing or why a different system will provide more benefit.

My appraisal is that your post has more in common with trolls then intelligent debate.  The recommendation to shit-can your post was entirely reasonable to prevent others from wasting their time.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Linus Who?
old.fart
Thursday, April 05, 2007

Charlie Brown's buddy.

You know. They do drive-bys on Crenshaw.
Kepala Kelapa
Thursday, April 05, 2007

>>> Will you people start being more mature and make less "style over content" logical fallacies?

You really like to say that other peoples' arguments are logical fallacies...

The content of your essay seems to be: I think there should be more than one person  (Linus) who can commit changes to the kernel.  Some other projects have multiple committers and those projects seem to work acceptably well.  I think Linus should remove himself from his current role and allow multiple people to commit.

That's about all I can get out of your essay.  The bit at the end about David Miller's comments doesn't add anything, I'd summarize it as: Someone said that my opinion is dumb, but he didn't explain what's dumb about it.
Ward Send private email
Thursday, April 05, 2007

"Will you people start being more mature and make less "style over content" logical fallacies?"

Will you write better essays so that the only interesting thing to say about them ISN'T about style over content?

It's the sign of bad writing that the message itself isn't what is discussed.
The Critic
Friday, April 06, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics