The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Access 2007 text import?

I have text import specs that work in Access 2003, but not in 2007.

The issue appears to be with date fields.  The dates are of the format
yyyymmdd in the text file.  The specs imported the field properly in Access
2003.  In 2007, you get an error

"The specification XML failed to validate against the schema.  There is an
error in the following line of the XML document: |."

Those specs that have no date fields import without problems.

Any ideas?
Scott
Monday, April 02, 2007

First, for questions like this, you should try the Microsoft newsgroups first. You get a lot better answers there.

Try:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx

Choose the first one on the left side.( access databases)

Anyway, we are here…so:

I am able to reproduce this problem. It looks like a bug to me. I going to report this (and escalate it).

The only workaround I can see is to import that data into a table with the date as a text field. You then simply run a update query to send this data to another column in the table (or simply build a expressin that makes the date out of this..and append to the production table).

Assuming your “text” data as the text date field is called txtDateF

Then, for your expression in the query builder, you can use:

NewDateField: DateSerial(Left([txtDatef],4),Mid([txtDatef],5,2),Right([txtDatef],2))

The above column will thus append to column in the target table as a date field.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com
Albert D. Kallal Send private email
Monday, April 02, 2007

Thanks Albert.  Where are you reporting it, and can I provide any input?

I did post on the newsgroups first and got no response.  I always get a response here.
Scott Send private email
Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Well, there is the standard product feed back option. (if you enable the “customer feedback” options in office, you can submit ideas, and even report bugs that way). In 07, you find this via office button, access options, and then in the “trust center”.

You can also go the office web site…and choose support, and then feedback. You will eventually find your way here:

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11265

>Where are you reporting it,

I am a access MVP, and thus I can report the problem in the private groups. And, my posts can be escalated by me so that the access team sees the problem – So, I done that now. No further assistance is needed. (since I can easily re-produce the problem).

>I did post on the newsgroups first and got no response.  I always get a response here.

Golly, that is strange….I only mentioned the support newsgroups, as usually you get good answers in less then one hour most of the time….

Albert D. Kallal  (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com
Albert D. Kallal Send private email
Thursday, April 05, 2007

Albert,

Thanks for the help. 

Here's my original post on the newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.access.externaldata&mid=29ab2340-f8ba-4e9f-9549-4d4dcedce10f&sloc=en-us

Maybe it was in the wrong place, but it seems like the right place to me.  You are right, usually a response is quick.  But most people won't post unless they have an answer, and there doesn't seem to be an answer for this one!

I would love to hear about it if you get a response.  If there is no immediate solution, we are going to have to write some custom code for this job.
Scott Send private email
Thursday, April 05, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics