The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Not a prank Google directions to NYC to Dublin

Calculate directions from NYC to Dublin Ireland using Google maps. Any origin in USA works well.

Pay attention to Step 23

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=ny,+ny&daddr=dublin,ireland&layer=&sll=48.166085,-43.242187&sspn=42.85428,92.8125&ie=UTF8&z=4&ll=47.040182,-36.123047&spn=43.700078,92.8125&om=1"> Google maps directions</a>
SkS Send private email
Saturday, March 31, 2007

Reckon a bit of exercise will do you some good mate.
AH
Saturday, March 31, 2007

ROTFLMAO.
Meghraj Reddy
Saturday, March 31, 2007

What? Matter transmission is still to expensive for the average bloke? Shucks.
Li-fan Chen Send private email
Saturday, March 31, 2007

I tried Honolulu, Oahu to Seoul, South Korea--doesn't work? Even if you can't swim across can't you at least tie together a few coconuts and float across?
Li-fan Chen Send private email
Saturday, March 31, 2007

I think that's a bit off.  I wonder if Google's algorithms don't need a bit more tweaking.

I mean, wouldn't it be quicker to swim straight to Ireland instead of going through France and England as well?
Yo Fitness
Saturday, March 31, 2007

That’s just ridiculous. Everyone knows that you should take the M6 toll road instead of staying on the regular M6 through the West Midlands. Otherwise you get caught in the heavy traffic around Birmingham.
Mike
Saturday, March 31, 2007

Hmmmm, the coconuts method should work, just as long as you can find enough swallows.
Jivlain
Saturday, March 31, 2007

Bah .. It takes you via France to get to Plymouth..

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=ny,ny&daddr=plymouth,+uk&layer=&sll=39.96901,-39.935855&sspn=44.196536,96.328125&ie=UTF8&z=4&ll=46.073231,-36.123047&spn=40.364386,96.328125&om=1

Google, fix this! Someone is going to go seriously out of their way following those directions.
Nick H
Saturday, March 31, 2007

Interestingly, it seems that on Google Maps, every road trip from the U.S. to Europe has to leave from Boston and arrive at Le Havre, France.

Google must have a deal with this cruise company:

http://www.cruisecompete.com/itins/maasdam_cruises_ehajded.html
Kyralessa Send private email
Saturday, March 31, 2007

Interesting observation, Kyralessa.
Ben Atkin Send private email
Saturday, March 31, 2007

Not as amusing, but the google maps trip from my local shops to my house takes a sharp left down a walking track, across a small lake, and through a locked gate - the water is not deep enough to swim, but too deep and muddy for normal cars.
Gerry Smith Send private email
Saturday, March 31, 2007

OK, so can anyone tell us what pair of cities results in a route traversing the biggest fraction of a great circle?

Or:  is there a pair of cities for which google advocates going the "long way" around the world?  Preferably, these cities would be close to each other.
Thomas Kammeyer Send private email
Monday, April 02, 2007

"I mean, wouldn't it be quicker to swim straight to Ireland instead of going through France and England as well?"

No. You might risk making landfall at Cork. I think Google is erring on the side of caution... very astute!
JJ Send private email
Monday, April 02, 2007

Besides, if you came ashore at Cork, you couldn't tell people that you swam the English Channel now, could you?
KenW Send private email
Tuesday, April 03, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics