The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Why the iPhone sucks..

I was really wanting to buy/use/dev for one of these. The looks are nice, I like the touch screen, hi-def graphics; but worry, like many others, if it could stand-up to being dropped on concrete; $600 per drop is steep. Also, everyone hates Cingular, and no 3G, futuristic "FAST" networking. Its like a porche with a VW engine. But why it really sucks...cause I would've still bought one knowing these things, is...YOU CAN'T DEV FOR IT. It runs on a subset of OSX, "fine, let me port to the subset," but no...they won't let you run/upload/download other applications.

They should've just created a mini-computer, using WIFI, and VOIP...it would be cheaper for the cusotmer to use...and fun for us developers to get into.

I know Apple, I've dev'd for them and know how the company goes through cycles...up/down...these basic mistakes, problems, in my opinion, could signify the begining of the downturn for them.
lemon obrien Send private email
Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Dropping the word "computer" from the company name may indicate that developers are no longer a priority, if they ever were.
Bruce Rennie

Apple always quickly comes out with new upgraded devices.  This is merely the first revision.  They generally play things smarter than most companies by starting small.  By keeping things closed now, it allows them to refine the package faster.  I suspect we will see plenty of revisions of the product -- probably a non-phone version.

Of course, that's an optimistic reply.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email

Dropping the word "computer" from the company name is merely recognition of the fact that Apple does a whole lot more than build computing platforms.
Now That's More Like It

Do we know for sure that you can't develop your own apps on it? It seems like a perfect opportunity to let people use Apple's widget development tools, since it already runs Safari/WebKit.
JW

It took a while for the XBOX 360 team to start (pleasantly) surprising the hobby game developer (I got my just for the Dev Kit actually, but it's like digital crack, now I have the freaking Wireless Wheel!!!)... they may make a point of entertaining the hobby developer if they feel the platform needs that sort of infusion of interesting portable computing ideas.
Li-fan Chen Send private email

Dev for it? madness.

Imagine a phone that won't take a call because some random app that isn't properly sandboxed is hogging all CPU resources.
Ankur

<quote>
Dev for it? madness.

Imagine a phone that won't take a call because some random app that isn't properly sandboxed is hogging all CPU resources.
</quote>

Or a phone with spyware that records your calls and sends them somewhere.  (Music too... maybe the MPAA would like the iPhone opened up to find pie-rat-ed music.)
I forgot my posting name.

<super-quote>
<quote>
Dev for it? madness.

</quote>

Or a phone with spyware that records your calls and sends them somewhere.  (Music too... maybe the MPAA would like the iPhone opened up to find pie-rat-ed music.)
</super-quote>

Wow; you guys do not get it...I see a post where you're scared to stay up 100% of the time...OS/X "does it suck...i can keep a XP box up...WTF? i don't get teh argument"

and then another post spitting FEAR...or fear-mongering. spy-ware ain't big on the mac...or would it become a problem? I never heard of OX/X having a big spyware problem"

i think it sucks....cause that was the first thought that came to mind.

expand your business.

eco-nom-is-s

Lower end Porshes share many parts (and in for some years even engines) with Volkswagens.
Robert Tuvieja

i knew the relationship between the car companies...I believe they are owned by the same german company.

its a Euphaism....as they call it.

I thought it clever too...given the real world knowledge.

'seems to me to be hobbled for success; it's like crippling your step son...and being proud of it.

> Lower end Porshes share many parts (and in for some years even engines) with Volkswagens.

For instance, the Porsche Cayenne is pretty much a Volkswagen with different bodywork.
clcr

i see it like the iPod... give it 2 years and the price will drop and there will be like a dozen versions and colors.

Yeah, Cingular does suck. But, Verizon customer service is sad.
Patrick from an IBank Send private email

The price really isn't that overwhelming when you consider how instrumental such a device is to many people.

If any other company came out with this (e.g. Microsoft), I would have written it off as a certain failure, inevitably with a long list of deficiencies and failures (I'm normally very skeptical of touch screens, for instance). Apple's brilliance in delivery lately (just look at how unbelievably well, and transparently, they dealt with the transition between completely different chip architectures) leads me to think this will actually be a mighty find little device.

I want one. If it was extensible with user apps, I'll be in line.
Dennis Forbes Send private email

@The price really isn't that overwhelming when you consider how instrumental such a device is to many people.

re-write:
The price really isn't that overwhelming when you consider the price.

and you have the truth.

There will be competition for the iphone this year. They will also add GPS to the iPhone.

$600 is an entry level price. It is going to drop like a rock in a year when the competition comes out.

This is just a first generation product.
Contractor

"Dev for it? madness.

Imagine a phone that won't take a call because some random app that isn't properly sandboxed is hogging all CPU resources."

Are you kidding?  Palm OS and Windows phones have been out for years now.  I've owned a couple different Palm phones, and my wife has owned a couple others, and I've never had the phone refuse to work due to a bad app.

(Well, OK, I did get one case many months ago where the phone wouldn't work till I did a memory-erasing reset and had to restore the data from my desktop PC.  But I don't think that was due to a bad app; and anyway I've never had it happen again.)
Kyralessa Send private email

What's strange is that everybody thinks that the iPhone is new. It isn't. LOTS OF SIMILAR DEVICES are already on the market.

Here is an example:

HTC Blue Angel (sold under a lot of other names such as Qtek 9090, O2 XDA III, etc):

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/htc-blue-angel-en.shtml

This device is far superior to the iPhone because it also has a true hardware keyboard.

Here is a site with information about many such devices:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com

The current trend is to equip such devices with a keyboard.
X-MAX
Thursday, January 11, 2007

iPhone is the first Apple product  that actually made an impression on me. The idea to do away with fixed keys in a phone is brilliant.
Words have meaning

Wont the touch screen get very icky from the fingers toucing it?
as

"This device is far superior to the iPhone because it also has a true hardware keyboard."

I don't understand. How is "true hardware keyboard" an objective advantage?

Steve Jobs at least made a case for the virtual keyboard (different apps need different buttons). What's the brilliant case for a hardware keyboard?

(BTW the "Blue Angel" looks less elegant than my iPAQ, uses a stylus, and seems to be a completely normal PDA/phone. I don't see how it is objectively "better" than the iPhone. The "Angel" seems like a normal old-fashioned PDA.)
Andrew Brehm Send private email

Fear of dropping? May I suggest a wrist strap? Thicker carpets?

>"Wont the touch screen get very icky from the fingers toucing it?"

Of course, but that's your problem, not theirs. Maybe you should be busy designing the matching iScreen-wipes and safety chains...
Jimmy Jones

Or start a site where everyone can upload pics of their "earprints"...
Financial programmer

It does have a multi-touch screen ... and ears are very much individual ... it could recognise a user by the shape of their ear & set preferences (volume etc) accordingly.

Just blue-skying
Max Send private email

>re-write:
The price really isn't that overwhelming when you consider the price.

Um, no.

$600+ is a lot of money for a flippant accessory or device -- I wouldn't spend $600 for a portable radio, a electric shaver, or heated shoes (well unless I worked in the Arctic. Then I'd consider that). For a device with such importance and functionality, the price really isn't that unfathomable.
Dennis Forbes Send private email

They should have included a wiper blade and a washer nozzle on the screen because it is going to be a mess of oily residue from your cheek and ear. Take your first gen black Nano, put it to your ear like a phone and you can see a preview.
cheeto

"I don't understand. How is "true hardware keyboard" an objective advantage?"

When I bought my latest smartphone, the true hardware keyboard was an advantage to me.  My previous phone did not have one.  It's basically impossible to compose anything of a reasonable size without a hardware keyboard.

"Steve Jobs at least made a case for the virtual keyboard (different apps need different buttons)."

We've had a keyboard sitting in front of us since 1980 -- it's a pretty standard interface for interacting with applications and composing documents.

"What's the brilliant case for a hardware keyboard?"

a) It has tactile feedback.  It's notoriously difficult to type on something that doesn't respond to your presses.  Plus you actually have to press keys, no just touch them.

b) A virtual keyboard big enough to type on takes up the entire screen.  A hardware keyboard gives you extra space.

The keyboard on my phone slides out from the side, not the bottom, as in the example phone linked above.  Much bigger keys and the phone switches automatically into landscape mode.

First, I'm a little curious about the comment about Apple no longer caring about their devs, "if they ever did."  ProjectBuilder and later XCode have been freely available to all Mac owners all along, which suggests Apple cares a lot more than MS, who originally planned to charge even for the Express versions of their 2005 dev software.

Secondly, I've been a perfectly happy cingular customer for just shy of 5 years.  I'm not clear on just what it is that sucks about them (well, that wouldn't suck about any mobile carrier).

Finally, I carry a Treo 650 and an iPod.  The combination (admittedly I bought the 650 the first day Cingular had it available) cost me $650 for a 4gb iPod mini and a 32mb Treo.  I can't help but think that in comparison $600 is perfectly reasonable for the extra 4 gigs, wifi, and huge, gorgeous screen, not to mention not needing to carry around multiple devices.
jburka Send private email

I just want a cell phone that looks like a big old dial telephone.
old.fart Send private email

Drew K

I agree completely. The iPhone sucks. I haven't seen it or used it, but it comes from those Apple people who are both pot smoking hippies and closed source corporate types and that's the worst combination possible. Also, the iPhone only has one mouse button. What the #$ is that about? ANd no command line? Are you kidding me?
Mac Hater

@Mac Hater

you need to smoke some dope to come up with a better response...if they was hippie/corpate types...then it seems to me, they'd open it up..."open" as being free, peace, love...and "open" and in busines opportunity.

I'm not the only one who thinks this either...
http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/01/let_os_x_develo.html

Dooooood, don't you see I agree with you already? That's what I'm saying - they are post smoking hippies and fascist corporate types all in one! It's like teh ultimate sell-out.
Mac Hater
Friday, January 12, 2007

@Mac Hater

sorry, I was high.
Friday, January 12, 2007

I've already seen all the fanboys trying to justify this: "Oh, you'll just use webapps".

Webapps are the future, but not on phones, or not yet anyway. small screen, pages being sent across slow connections (and on the iPhone, even slower) and navigating around just isn't as nice.

I used to read my Gmail on my phone via a browser. It was something I could do, but not too pleasant. Slow having to wait for the pages, then the problem of navigating around. Then Google brought out a Gmail Client for phones that made it quicker and simpler.

There's a couple of devkits for Nokia Symbian phones. Which means people have made RSS readers, photoblogging applications and all sorts of things. And the machines are getting powerful enough to make portable computing more popular. Sky TV in the UK have a mobile client for programming the Sky Plus box.

Question for anyone who was developing in the mid-80s - is it true that Apple ignored independent developers where Microsoft did everything they could to encourage them?
Tim Almond Send private email
Friday, January 12, 2007

I don't whether it does suck or not overall, but in the Japanese market it will suck. Which is why Apple announced it won't release an iPhone in Japan until mid 2008 at earliest because they know that ver1.0 would have been trounced by phones here 4 years old. It has a touch screen and that's it! The touch screen seems very very cool, but time will tell if it turns out to be a bad idea or not (greasy screens; broken screen also mean broken keypad etc). Plus it is larger and heavier than other phones with less functionality. And if they insist on enforcing the Apple interface like they do with their OS they will really bomb. Phone interface skinning is seriously big business here.

However, given that some Apple products are more valued for their appeal as a fashion accessory, it should do very well worldwide. But really don't hold your breath for Japan or Korea going for it.

Summer 2008 gives Apple alot of time to work on 2.0 or even 3.0 so a failure is not a foregone conclusion. But if they insist on being different and doing it 'their way' they will get less phone market share in the far east than they did with iPod (only 1% in South Korea - Jobs never mentions that does he).
Joey Dobias Send private email
Saturday, January 13, 2007

Well some of the features will only work for Cingular since they made changes in their system just to accomodate the iPhone features like visual voicemail etc.. Will the rest of the world(Europe and Asian telecom carrier)follow Jobs whims and wishes? Most likely not. Besides there's no 3rd party apps support dor devs.
Flxrms Send private email
Monday, January 15, 2007

That's an excellent point. I can't answer for other countries but in Japan the concensus is this:

DoCoMo: No branding permitted. All phones must be DoCoMo branded with no other logos. Heavy proprietary software base (iMode web browser). VERY UNLIKELY
AU/Tsuka: Everything branded and phones all designed for the fashion concious. However, proprietary software (EZweb browser + Opera) and not big on collaberating with non Japanese companies. UNLIKELY
Softbank: Allows branding and has fairly open system and is a big consumer of foreign technology. LIKELY (their shares even jumped 4% on speculation based on the fact the company colours and logo typeface are the same)

However building in proprietary email applications (which each provider uses) won't be a major issue for Apple. But building in all the extra features to match existing phones will require complete redesign and will require special Japanese text input which Japanese phone makers have had years of experience in. Rapid Japanese text input on a touch panel has proved problematic in past and user's will not adopt a new system if Apple try to invent one. I imagine Chinese market will have similar issues. Apple will also have to incorporate things like Felica (digital wallet IC chip) and digital TV tuners (abotu 30% have them now; now 2008 probably 90% will). These may all cause headaches for Apple. With the iPod they entered an underdeveloped market with a kick ass product. With the iPhone they are entering a saturated highly competative market with expensive under featured product.
Joey Dobias Send private email
Monday, January 15, 2007

to the moderators who actually let some fucko put this topic in this website.

i'll bet my life that all of u will have an iphone.

now get a life and leave me alone
anonymous, duh Send private email
Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Real keys are faster to dial and if something is wrong with my keys, it is the keys.

However, with iPhone, your punching on the same area you need to view afterwards?

This is plain stupid. I don't like.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics