The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Fogbugz as helpdesk

isn't that like using Visual sourcesafe beyond what it is desgin for?
Mr.Dewey
Thursday, November 09, 2006

Who else is doing this?

We're about to spend a bunch of time either testing out helpspot (see:
http://www.followsteph.com/2006/06/20/helpspot-versus-fogbugz/  ) or trying to extend our current use of FogBugz. 

I hate the idea of moving to two systems if one can handle it (money is not the limiting factor, but all the tsuris in working with two systems)

Advice?
Mike

There was similar post on the "fog creek blog" a while ago. Seems to me as if Joel is feeling the helpspot competition.
Macbeth

I thought it was odd when someone compared HelpSpot and FogBugz to begin with... I guess if you don't mind using a fork when a knife works better....

In my mind these two should have completely different feature sets.  Yes, in a way, help desk tickets are similar to bugs which are like tickets for programmers and vice versa... I guess maybe for the mISV small business who can only afford one this is a factor, but I think the majority of their customers are completely different audiences. (Disclaimer: I don't use either product)

I also thought it was odd that Joel sells FogBugz as a project management tool.
Phil Send private email

swiss army knife or speicalisied tool? i have seem company using salesforce beyond what it is desgin for. i believe most of us would perfer to have one database or one interface for all of our tasks.
Mr.Dewey

I have never understood using a bug tracking tool as a help desk ticketing system.  These applications have seperate uses and would generally have a different feature set.

About the only thing similar is that you tracking ticket status and logging updates.
FullName

I have used fogbugz - only as a helpdesk system.

It worked well.
Architecture Astronaut

I'm one of those freaks that tries to get maximum usage from one piece of software *if possible*.

I use FogBugz for project management even though we have empower licenses for MS Project and dotProject looks amazing.

I suffer through this pain because I really dislike:
- learning two pieces of software well
- trying to share information well between systems
- multiple points of failure in our systems
- extra licensing costs (less important)

Plus, I naively hope the software improves in areas where it could grab functionality.

The referenced article seems a little too jury-rigged for my taste, but curious if anyone else (who knows helpdesk) has given this a serious effort.

I would like helpdesk and bug-tracking tightly integrated.  Personally, I don't see either FogCreek or UserScape making a serious run at each other's spaces by adding all the needed functionality.  I'd be thrilled if they partnered (what, they're 20 miles away?) and made sure their products played nicely.

Mike
Bankstrong Send private email

I actually wrote the FogBugz blog post about FogBugz as a helpdesk

http://blog.fogbugz.com/Articles/2006/10/12.html

for an email to a customer who wanted to know how we do stuff, and then spiffed it up for publishing.

When it sounds like someone wants something that's just a helpdesk and has a customer information database and a big fancy knowledge base, I generally direct her to HelpSpot or another dedicated helpdesk tool.  But a lot of people buy FogBugz and use it as a helpdesk, either as its primary or secondary purpose, and it works out.
Sumana Harihareswara Send private email

I've recently purchased FogBugz for handling bug tracking and customer support request and I'm very satisfied with it.

I believe that Fogbugz can be adapted to use as an helpdesk solution while Helpspot is much more difficult to use as a bug tracking system.

On top of that I'm a one-man company so I don't have much problems on "synchronization" issues.

I also like the ability to create release notes.
Andrea N. - Direct Access Send private email
Friday, November 10, 2006

The link to the top article should actually be: http://www.followsteph.com/2006/06/20/helpspot-versus-fogbugz

There is an extra whitespace at the end which is causing it not resolve properly.

Btw, in case any of your are wondering, I'm the one who wrote the article. Yes we still use both tools. They're both great. But using the analogy someone earlier in this thread, do you eat all your food with a knife, or do you use a knife and fork?
Stephane Grenier Send private email
Friday, November 10, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics