The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

Suggestion for Job Board

Have a place for job SEEKERS to post ads, their resume, etc...  To keep it clean, you could even charge $50-100.  As both a employer and an employee I think this would be a great resource. 

Sometimes companies don't always have a specific job opening, but if they see a Michael Pryor class employee is looking for a job, they'll make an opening.

And from an employee point of few, sometimes its hard to figure out exactly if you qualify for a certain job, or if they are willing to hire from out of state etc..  this way the jobs can come to you.
Phil Send private email
Wednesday, September 06, 2006

+1 for Phil. That is an excellent suggestion, and I was thinking about that last night while looking at the new job board.
QADude Send private email

Eh... I think that one is going to be more trouble than its worth.  When schlubs post their ad and don't get any hits, they're going to call FC and complain to get their money back.

Like Joel has noted numerous times, the good people are likely to disappear long before they post an ad.  Most of them will get offers from previous managers, via referrals, etc.
KC Send private email

That's a good point, although some places are looking for average programmers too.  I don't consider myself a legendary programmer, and am not even looking for a job, but might stick the old resume out there to see if FogCreek: Honolulu is looking for a .NET guy.
Phil Send private email

I can just see the ad:

"We hire the average.  If you're in the middle 50%, we want to talk to you!  We can't pay you like Google, but you couldn't work for them anyway, so give us a call!  We promise that you'll have the second best-in-class tools that our 80 year old secretary can find via AOL Search!"
KC Send private email

Hey, at least it would be honest for once!  If all the good people are gone via referrals, old managers, etc... then the same people who will apply to the jobs posted are the same ones that would post their resume for viewing.
Phil Send private email

There is something called theladders.com where you pay to post your resume for $100,000+ jobs.

I can't tell if it's a great idea or a cruel ripoff. They are extremely successful at getting listings, though, and I understand that the founders are drowning in money.
Joel Spolsky Send private email

You guys need to talk to "What da" over here:

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.384520.44

He sounds like he wants desperately to hire some very inexpensive, average developers.
Kyralessa Send private email

Going by the logic that the best rarely have to search for jobs, the ones willing to pay to post their CV must be very desperate.

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.378972.11
Wills
Thursday, September 07, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics