The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

PGP for .NET

Anyone know of a PGP implementation that is callable from .NET apps?

Is the PGP SDK easy to use?
jingalala jingalala ™ Send private email
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Whatever
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

http://www.bouncycastle.org/csharp/index.html

I use the Java version and it works  well for me, the API is a bit difficult since you have to pretty much do everything by hand but it can be done.
Justin Kolb Send private email
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I searched Dogpile for Google but got no hits. Just something about the largest named number?
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Thanks everyone. I did use Google and I even went a step further, which I am sure you didn't: I explored the suitability of the products offered in the search results against my requirements. And they weren't quite suitable.

Just bear this tip in mind: when someone posts a question, if you cannot oblige, you can at least speak obligingly. The least you can do is ignore the thread if you do not have first hand experience to help the OP. Usually, the people who ask such questions are looking to help themselves from your experience.
Thursday, June 15, 2006

You provided no requirements that had to be met and he answered the question that you asked. How was anyone to know that you needed a specific feature list when you neglect to provide one.
Eptiliom
Thursday, June 15, 2006

You could have reasonably guessed he wasn't looking for the first two results in google and a sarky comment, right?

All this back-stabbing and meanness is why all the good posters have migrated to cot.

If someone has PGP for .NET experience, please speak up.
Lone Coder
Thursday, June 15, 2006

No. I think he just put PGP in Google and pasted some links that had the word PGP in it.

If you read this page closely enough,

http://cephas.net/blog/2004/09/03/pgp_decryption_using_c.html

you will see what it does. It uses one of the official PGP products from NAI/PGP Corp and calls it on the command line using the ProcessStartInfo class.

I agree that I did not provide any specific information about my requirements, but you must also agree that his post was rather indignant and ignorant at the same time.
Thursday, June 15, 2006

>> You could have reasonably guessed he wasn't looking for the first two results in google and a sarky comment, right?

No, but sometimes people post questions and what they are looking for IS given by the first two results in google. Sarky comments are free, as always.

>> All this back-stabbing and meanness is why all the good posters have migrated to cot.

Ooh, where's cot? Do they let just anyone in?
Larry Lard Send private email
Thursday, June 15, 2006

Oh, and actually on topic: When searching for .NET components to do <stuff>, it's often more useful to search for stuff c#, rather than stuff .net, because .net is a nightmare search term (thanks MS for the name!).

Googleing pgp c#, I find

open source:
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/sharpprivacy.asp
"SharpPrivacy is an OpenPGP implementation in C#. It can be used to encrypt and sign data, created OpenPGP compatible keys, and a lot more. This article explains how to use the library in your own .NET application or webpage to encrypt, sign, decrypt or verify OpenPGP messages. "

commercial:
http://www.eldos.com/sbb/net-pgp.php
SecureBlackbox® - Completely managed PGP components for .NET framework

But no, I haven't actually used either. To be honest, while I am usually a fan of buy over build, how hard can the PGP implementation be to roll yourself?
Larry Lard Send private email
Thursday, June 15, 2006

PGP (the company) offers a DLL that can be called by C/C++ to do various PGP operations. I did a project some time back where I used .NET to hook up with managed C++ for using the PGP DLL. I can't say it was difficult, but I think you really need to know what you are doing with PGP in order to get your task done right (I say this because security is sometimes underestimated as being a stick-this-into-that and things will work, which it is not).
Simon@AutoUpdate+ Send private email
Thursday, June 15, 2006

There's a COM wrapper around the PGP dlls available here:
http://community.wow.net/grt/nsdpgp.html

It should be easy enough to use from .NET, and it's free. I use it from Delphi and C++ Builder in a couple of apps.

HTH

Ken
Ken
Thursday, June 15, 2006

PGP implements the OpenPGP standard. An open source C# (.NET) implementation of that standard is Bouncy Castle. That seems to fulfill the requirements you stated. The only downside is that is still in beta. The Java version is pretty stable now and I've been successfully using it for at least a year.
Justin Kolb Send private email
Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thanks, Larry. I'd found those results myself too actually. However, I wanted someone who had used something in .NET to give me a review if a product was good or not. The opportunity is very big, and the data is very, very critical and so I want to be sure someone has tried something and if they can recommend that.

Simon@AutoUpdate+, that's what is the PGP SDK from the NAI/PGP Corp. Can you give me some more specifics, please. Does the SDK provide good documentation along with it? I tried downloading the SDK yesterday but it seems that it requires you to have an existing PGP product license. Is that true?

Thanks a tonne, Ken. Now, *that* looks like something I might be very interested in. I'll have a look. Oops...the link doesn't open.

Thanks, Justin. Had a look at Bouncy Castle. It is just too much baggage and seems very unfriendly and difficult to understand, but I'll try it.

Thanks very much, friends.
Thursday, June 15, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics