The Joel on Software Discussion Group (CLOSED)

A place to discuss Joel on Software. Now closed.

This community works best when people use their real names. Please register for a free account.

Other Groups:
Joel on Software
Business of Software
Design of Software (CLOSED)
.NET Questions (CLOSED)
TechInterview.org
CityDesk
FogBugz
Fog Creek Copilot

The Old Forum

Your hosts:
Albert D. Kallal
Li-Fan Chen
Stephen Jones

VMWare Applicance Challenge

Have any of you guys seen this yet?

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/challenge/

I've been using VMWare for a few years now and continue to be really impressed with it. A contest like this is going to bring about some really cool things.
Duff Send private email
Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I e-mailed 37Signals and asked them to do a RoR virtual appliance... just download, copy over your Rails projects, and host away!

If anyone else has experience configuring an iron-clad Ruby on Rails environment, e-mail me. I would actually be willing to pay for a RoR VM that I could stick into my hosting center.

Anyways, I think the Appliance Challenge is great idea and I look forward to seeing the awesome results that come out of it.
PWills Send private email

Gee, as much as the contest is interesting, the concept of deploying a piece of software that includes all of the OS, services, libraries, and virtually everything else (pun intended) is a rather remarkable concept.

The future really does hold the idea of that of a simple memory stick holding a complete operating system, database server, web services etc…but simply appears as a simple virtual file to be run. A very interesting concept…..

Could we see such great increases in ram, disk, processing that we deploy our applications with a complete OS?

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@ msn.com
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal
Albert D. Kallal Send private email

> Could we see such great increases in ram, disk, processing that we deploy our applications with a complete OS?

Unfortunately, this will never happen because the industry will never accept a *standard*. All this would do is move the target platform from Windows to a VMWare client. In the same way that some people are not happy using Windows, there will be some people not happy running VMWare. Think of it like this:
Windows <=> VMWare
Apple  <=> Virtual PC
Linux  <=> Bohcs

All it does is add yet another abstraction level between developer and hardware.
Adrian
Wednesday, March 01, 2006

> Could we see such great increases in ram, disk,
> processing that we deploy our applications with a
> complete OS?

I've wrote about this subject a bit here http://radio.weblogs.com/0103955/categories/stupidHumanProgramming/2006/02/18.html#a210.

I see it as the distribution format of the future. I agree the standards issue will stop it for a while, but hopefully once the industry matures a standards body will arise and a portability framework can be established.

I see the major benifits in three areas:
* security
* installation simplicity
* performance

They are all synergistic in a way that rarely is true in reality.

I am excited about the performance possibilities. You do not need a layered OS/application environment anymore. You can make one monolithic app that just screems.

Imagine a data center with automatic VM distribution capabilities where I can provision my new bare metal erlang application across a grid of processors. Instant distributed system with no hassles.
t
Wednesday, March 01, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics